Ally Financial - Caveat Emptor | Glassdoor

"Caveat Emptor"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Product Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Ally Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

401k; I was able to save more in 5 years with Ally than I did in almost 8 years with my previous employer. This was due to a generous company match and year end discretionary contributions for 3 years running.

Cons

Lack of leadership at mid and upper-mid levels; Directors and 'Executives' (@ VP level) are weak in terms of leadership skills; many lacking in vision-setting and overall charisma.

Chaotic work environment; exceptionally high turnover rate; +35% within my functional area over the prior 2 year period coupled with layoffs in early February that caught many off guard. Not a place where you look forward to going to work every day.

Advice to Management

LEAD comes across as just another management catch phrase du dour. Senior leaders need to be more visible to the rank and file in locations outside of Manhattan.

Other Employee Reviews for Ally Financial

"Treamendous Learning due to rapid change, highly political and backstabbing environment"

Former Employee - Director in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Director in Detroit, MI

I worked at Ally Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Salary, Autonomy to do work and lead small teams. Learned a lot due to the signifigant transformation of the company in the past few years.

Cons

Lack of leadership in some functions. Leadership does not always have the skill set matching the sepciality area they are managing

Advice to Management

Vlaeu all employees and functions

2. "Work Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Ally Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and cafeteria on site.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for growth or to move up in the company. There tends to be a lot of favoritism in management and if you do not fit in one of the clicks you are not treated the same.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be more involved with middle management. Listen to their concerns and stop changing teams every other month. There needs to be more continuity.