Alnylam - Politics, Politics, Politics.... | Glassdoor

"Politics, Politics, Politics...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Alnylam full-time

Pros

Great, friendly, and hard working colleagues in R & D, IT, IP, and Facilities.

Cons

However, the rest of the company (and some of the more senior staff in the above departments) is all about politics and playing "the game." Also, if one has made any mistakes/missteps they hold on to that information and then bring it up in the annual reviews, instead of addressing the issues in a timely fashion and allowing one to learn and grow, or they hold on to the information in order to fire a staff member.

In addition, upper management expects the staff to be in the office/lab as late as they are, not taking into account that some of the staff come in early and some late based on the arrangement they have with their boss (the middle management). Complete lack of work/life balance.

Also, only management (i.e. those who have doors) receive yearly bonuses, no one else! Extremely elitist and hierarchical.

Advice to Management

Management should truly look to see who is doing the actual work, not just spinning it for their approval...

Other Employee Reviews for Alnylam

"Loved the people!"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Alnylam full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely loved my group! The culture there was awesome!
    My group was like my second family. I will miss them.

Cons

We went through two restructurings with no warning...need I say more?

Advice to Management

Share with the employees more of what is going on with the big picture.

"Dynamic fast-paced environment, aggressively prosecuting a novel therapeutic technology"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Strong scientific rigor, very dynamic environment, compelling new technology, good fiscal management, heavily matrixed organization that demands good team play and collaboration

Cons

ALNY is aggressively seeking clinical POC for the RNAi therapeutic platform. The intense race toward clinical results often means that research around better understanding the fundamentals of the technology are deprioritized. Target selection also feels rushed and premature at times.

Advice to Management

Don't overlook mechanistic research around targets and delivery systems as this provides a strong foundation for problem solving later in clinical development.