Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital - Best place to work in the Memphis area | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

"Best place to work in the Memphis area"

Current Contractor - Project Specialist in Memphis, TN
Current Contractor - Project Specialist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great advancement opportunity, and even better leadership.

Cons

Ideas occasionally stagnate up the organizational ladder, with the Top-Down new approach at odds with the Bottom-Up structure on which the hospital, and its fundraising body were founded.

Advice to Management

None...if the aforementioned is the worst issue there, I'd say you are all doing pretty well.

Other Employee Reviews for Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

"Leadership has failed this once great organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

The cause is fantastic - the children of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
    Some people that work here have their hearts in it - they are fantastic

Cons

Too much money wasted, not enough money spent on the cause
    Organization has a reputation for poor management at all levels
    Too much company politics

Advice to Management

The salaries of executive management are outrageous -- no charity should pay its top officers half-a-million dollars a year or, in the case of the hospital, its top officer nearly a million dollars a year. People want to work for and donate to a good cause. Making executives rich is not a good cause.

For too long, the management style of this organization is to "throw things up against the wall and see if they stick". Not only is that inefficient, it is confusing to employees craving a focused strategy. Stop experimenting and start creating consistency in your business practices.

ALSAC now has a reputation for being a place you stay short-term if you have talent and long-term if you have none. If you know the right people, you can get promoted no matter how poorly you do your job. If you don't know the right people, you can't get promoted no matter how well you do your job.

Things were much better under John Moses, Dave McKee and Dick Shadyac. Current leadership should emulate them.

"Experience"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

Pros

I got a lot of experience from being in the office but I really did not learn much. I was interning the fundraising office.

Cons

I wish that i learned more as this was an internship for me and I wanted to learn more about the hopsital, not as much marketing.

Advice to Management

i would advice that they develop a more structured internship program for students to really thrive in and learn more