Altria - Great place to start, but learn fast & move on. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Altria

"Great place to start, but learn fast & move on."

Current Employee - IT Worker Bee in Richmond, VA
Current Employee - IT Worker Bee in Richmond, VA

Pros

Good pay for first few years
Good benefits & 401k
OK vacation time

Cons

Old school management needs to retire.
Good old boy network selects very, very few for fast track.
Because of head-count freeze there is no longer lateral job opportunities and lateral
opportunities can provide the change needed to survive another year or two.
NO work-life balance. If you need time for kids at school family related you are frowned upon & made to feel you are taking advantage of the company.
Once management looks past you, you could cure cancer & it wouldn’t help your career.

Advice to Management

All our true technology people are leaving the company. We have a poor career path for our technology people. You in upper management like to say “We are not a technology company” but we are. Look on any desktop. Stop outsourcing IT to India & IBM. You haven’t realized that you have lost control of your databases. IT has been reduced to a group of project managers. The high skill set of your few “true” IT people who are left is marginalized. Soon those skills will be out-of-date & the technology people must make a choice, a) stay and become totally unemployable elsewhere or b) leave now before you become unskilled to the greater world.

Other Employee Reviews for Altria

"Best company I ever worked for."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Senior management is top notch. You will gain invaluable experience as this company has the best business practices. Benefits are hard to beat.

Cons

As with every big firm, growth is slow and there is bureaucracy. You also need to look after your own career if you desire to move within departments. HR will “try” to help but ultimately you need to find a mentor.

"Not a good place to be"

Former Employee - Take Your Pick, I've Seen IT From All Sides in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Take Your Pick, I've Seen IT From All Sides in Richmond, VA

Pros

High salary, but there is a reason for that
    Good benefits but only good if vested (and good luck with that)
    Good peers and some nice people

Cons

Terrible leadership
    Very political
    Old boys club where leadership is permitted to do anything they want to get ahead
    Leaders manage upwards and despite reports to HR for years, are allowed to "break" and blame underlings.
    Values are a joke and are only used to hurt you in reviews, but living by their values is not rewarded and actually prevents you from moving up.
    HR is only there to protect management.
    Management is never reprimanded, but underlings are routinely let go.
    Lowest morale of any place I have ever worked.

Advice to Management

The system is broken and needs a total overhaul and reports to HR about management should be taken seriously.