Amazon Lab126 - Excellent, challenging, fast paced | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon Lab126

"Excellent, challenging, fast paced"

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Cupertino, CA
Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CEO with good far sight vision. Growing company with lots of areas to explore

Cons

Very fast paced. Betting on selling the content.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon Lab126

"Management team in Reliability Engineering space has no direction. Chaos is ubiquitous."

Current Employee - Non-standard Title in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Non-standard Title in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. The reason is due to professionalism. In Reliability Engineering space there is no professionalism but there is plenty of favortism. A certain chosen individuals are setup for success, by design, at the cost of the entire department. X-Apple FTE and contractors infested the place. Apple standards are the golden rules. People there don't have their own standard.

Cons

Many. There is no creativity. All duplicated directly from Apple standards or specifications. Most real talented employees leave the Reliability Engineering space within one year. The "golden childs" get to treat their colleagues without respects. Only theirs words mean business. A few of those golden childs do not have any education. However, they like Ph Ds. If you have a Ph D degree, join.

Advice to Management

Get closer to your direct reports. Give them a little attention. Have a vision for the group you are managing. Assign clear individual responsibility to avoid conflicts. Direction is key. Ask the question of where you want yourself and your group to be in the upcoming years. Direction.

"Vastly inferior to Amazon.com in Seattle"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Amazon Lab126 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well known company that is working on products that people use and love everyday.

Cons

The Lab126 division is not even close to the quality of a workplace as Amazon.com in Seattle is. I worked at Amazon in Seattle for 5 years but after transferring to lab126 I decided to depart after only 4 months.

The biggest issues were:
    - Engineering staff quality: The hiring bar at lab is _WAY_ below the bar in Seattle. I was working with a ton of people that wouldn't have made it through the hiring proces.
    - Manager staff quality: Unlike Amazon these folks are no longer in touch with the tech side of the business and haven't been for a long time.
    - Recruiting: The bar raisers at Lab126 aren't pulling their weight to solve the staffing quality.
    - Politics: There are a ton of folks who spend more time focused on politics than getting their job done. I have seen this at the manager level through the VP level and it disappointed me. (Thankfully none of this impacted me directly but I saw it all around me)
    - Communication: Super poor. There isn't really an any good communication across groups at Lab.

Advice to Management

Lab126 is operating like and staffed by employees from old school electronics companies such as HP. This has created a VERY different and (IMHO) inferior culture and working environment than I experienced in Seattle.

I was a very well known and successful engineer when I worked in Seattle who was rated at the very top of the scale and working at Lab was bad enough that it made me turn my back on the company. I would gladly rejoin Amazon if I was living in Seattle but since I now live in Silicon Valley I decided to join one of the many many great startups here instead.

My advice to management in Seattle: Take a long look at the leaders and figure out if they meet the bar in Seattle. If they don't then there is a process for fixing that. Once you 'get the right people on the bus' the rest of the issues should be easier to solve.