Amazon Lab126 - Smart people, cool products, boring day-to-day | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon Lab126

"Smart people, cool products, boring day-to-day"

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Amazon Lab126 as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

My team was full of really smart people, and the projects and products that we were working on were really cool. I worked there shortly before the latest generation of Kindle devices (Kindle Fire HDX, etc.) were released, and I got to experiment with the new devices, and write production code for them immediately, even as an intern. Hackathons put on by the company were a great way to experiment with the Kindle platform, and success is rewarded by management.

Cons

Office culture is a little too corporate for my tastes, but they're actually pretty flexible with working hours and dress code (within reason) as long as you're productive and make all your meetings. One thing that was irritating was the lack of food and the location of their campus. They built new offices north of Sunnyvale, and were in the process of transferring all operations out there, and while the offices are nice, they only offer dinner for free (which was mediocre at best -- it reminded me of dorm food), and it was a 10-15 minute drive to any restaurants, since the offices are sort of in the middle of nowhere. Their corporate value of "frugality" often means cheapness, and a corresponding lack of the sort of creature comforts you might find at the offices of other major tech companies (free food, lounge areas, etc.). They justify this by claiming to pay more (our savings on frills goes into your paycheck), but in my experience, their pay scale is about average, although intern benefits were on par with other companies.

Advice to Management

It's a nice enough company to work for, but the sort of corporate culture and lack of little things like food just give employees more things to complain about

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon Lab126

1. "Challenging and Fun"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Amazon Lab126 as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to Learn in the Challenging Environment.

Cons

Short period to explore more.

"Great company."

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company. Lots of resources. Exciting projects. Fast pace in the day time. Good life-work balance after work. I can see it has great potential to grow.

Cons

I don't really see any by far ... The only con that I may see is that frugality of part of this company's corporate culture ... and there is no free lunch ..