Amazon - Becoming an Amazon Warrior | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Becoming an Amazon Warrior"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Lewisberry, PA
Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Lewisberry, PA

Pros

The benefits are decent, personal time, vacation time, and gloves and box cutters are provided. The dress code is reasonable, the most they tell you to do is wear a good pair of sneakers to work. They also train employees on heavy lifting equipment.

Cons

-The hours can get crazy! They have made employees work 50 hour weeks for about a month at a time and gave little insight as to why this keeps happening, other than people aren't working fast enough.
-Temp to Hire - A person would have to become a temp before they are hired on. I feel like most of the temps don't hold a lot of hope in getting hired on, so they don't put a lot of effort into their work. I feel like most of the temps feel lost in the shuffle of things at work, and don't feel like the company puts very much investment it them.
-Short breaks - We get a half hour for lunch and 2 fifteen minute breaks. It's tough to really take a break in that short amount of time.
- Permanent employees that set a bad example - Some of the Amazonians really don't put a lot of effort into their work and set a poor example for the new people comming in. I really don't feel like management takes these things seriously and adds this chain of events up as to why work doesn't get done.

Advice to Management

We need to come up with a better plan for hiring and training new warehouse associates. I understand that they are doing the whole direct conversion plan, but I'm not so sure that that would be the answer to the problem. I worry that this plan might rely on interviews, which places that put a lot of stock in interviews tend to hire people that talk more than they can do. We also need to maintain the work ethic of current Amazon employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"awesome !!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

Technically sound and financially fit .
    Everything happens for a reason here at amazon.awesome benefits offered with great working conditions

Cons

Much stress.
    Much competition.Lesser chances to grow up.
    Hidden agenda prevails.PM s sometimes show more care or are partial.

Advice to Management

Recruit more people to avoid the increasing stress of employees.Make amazon available at more places so that there will be more to offer

"Poor employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

Pros

Growing company that provides jobs to the community. Some managers try hard to make it a good place for their employees. Average health benifits and 10% discount on Amazon products.

Cons

Company prays on the poor economy to pay low wages and manipulate employees. Hires hunderds to fill dozens of jobs. Does not value employees but treats them as interchangeable parts. No promotion from within. Expects management to work 60 + hours per week.

Advice to Management

Learn to promote from within. There are very good employees that know the business that are overlooked so that someone from outside can come in with out a clue how the company runs and then quickly drops out when expected to work 60 to 70 hours a week.