Amazon - Encourages "just do it" | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Encourages "just do it""

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

A great experience if you want to make a difference ay a major corporation. Employees can diretly impact the business and the company encourages you to "just do it". I've been a long-time employee and i my whole career has been at Amazon but feel that i have had ample career growth opportunity.

Cons

It can be extremely stressful. New fire drills daily and work-life becomes hard to balance. Managers shift frequently making it difficult to maintatin consistency in terms of career. Seem to spend more time preparing reports and summaries than i do on fixing the actual poblems i'm reporting on.

Advice to Management

Invest more in marketing and research. We are a product-led company and this need to be balanced by investing more time into research whether the money we are investng in are indeed the right opportunities.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

1. "Great learning environment. Tough culture for advancement."

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

No better place to learn about the ins and outs of e-commerce and sound web-based application development. Truly breaking ground with a scale no one else can match. I find that the lessons I learned at Amazon are useful in my current job and anticipate that I will continue to find new uses for skills honed there.

Cons

If you're business isn't the main focus of the company, then it can suffer, and you suffer, too. Amazon's core retail business and recent technology platform businesses took precedence over the Amazon Services busines, placing our team in a very difficult position--unable to please both our "master" and the client.

Advice to Management

Apply the same customer-centric approach taken with individual customers to technology and retail partners as well.

"Long timer's perspective."

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

Pros

Amazon is a place were you work next to really smart people who are motivated and excited about what they do for a living. While our workforce has changed over the years, the culture instills a focus on knowing the details of your business, maniacal focus on the customer - even if that means short term and perhaps long term pain - because that is the right thing to do and a willingness to take risks. People who love change and deal well with ambiguity thrive at Amazon. Those who want to be told what to do and who desire a clear road map get very frustrated. Every job has it's ups and down and Amazon has had it's fair share and more, but the company continues to innovate, continues to eschew the trappings of success and the employees take pride in their work.

Cons

Promotions are few and far between. Stock is a big part of your compensation and because our stock swings wildly it can significantly impact your income from year to year. For a new person Amazon can be quite a struggle to find your place. Most groups are sink or swim and if you are hired you are expected to seek help as it won't seek you.

Advice to Management

Jeff is a real ball buster if you don't have your act together and he will often be way over the top when critiquing work. Other senior leaders need to step up and defend their teams.