Amazon - Working at Amazon/AWS from the perspective of someone who started at the bottom, and has risen through the ranks. | Glassdoor
  1. "Working at Amazon/AWS from the perspective of someone who started at the bottom, and has risen through the ranks."

Current Employee - Java Programmer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazon enables you to make/execute decisions without having to vie for approvals from middle management (which itself, is mostly non-existent in the classical sense). Every job that I have worked at Amazon has been incredible challenging, which I enjoy; it is great to work for a company where I feel like I am learning something new and developing myself personally each day. It also advocates strongly for using new technologies...

Cons

The workload expectations on employees is pretty high. If you are a person that is very good at setting your own personal limits on hours worked, scope of role, etc.. then you will probably be fine. For myself personally though, these are areas that I've struggled with, and at times have probably caused myself a lot of unneeded stress that wasn't necessary.

Advice to Management

I have worked in 5 different roles across the company (3 in one org, and then 2 in 2 other organizations). I don't think that there is any single advice I would give that would span all of these roles. Each manager I have had has displayed their own nuances to managing; most aspects I have really enjoyed, a few I would have been happier without, but I think that this is the case with any manager at any company. I have...

Amazon2018-01-14
  1. "Excellent people, tough work environment"

Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You'd work with some of the finest people who bring a combination of intelligence, sharpness, and hands-on, rolled-up sleeves culture. You will learn every day and develop leadership skills that are top of the world.

Cons

Work environment is extremely tough and there is no work-life balance. Also, more emphasis is given on short-term execution goals, compared to strategic level, longer term problem solving. Salary structure forces even top executives to sell stocks to maintain lifestyle.

Advice to Management

To attract and retain senior leaders, consider changing the salary structure.

Amazon2019-07-17
  2. Helpful (1903)

"You Get What You Put In"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Really smart people, a lot of opportunity for growth, always encouraged to be innovative, think big, and create something new. Competitive salary and benefits with other major tech companies. 100% self motivating work environment. No dress code and 4 legged friends are welcome.

Cons

You have to be self motivated. NO ONE will hold your hand and tell you that you're doing a great job. If you need constant affirmations from management, this company isn't for you.

Advice to Management

More on-boarding training before new employees are thrown in the fire. The first couple of weeks can be very confusing on where to find the information you need that pertains to your job.

Amazon2016-01-11

Discover more reviews about Amazon.