Amazon - Interesting products, good location, not many perks | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Interesting products, good location, not many perks"

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was working in a AWS team and the product that my team was working on is new and exciting. Amazon is at the forefront on the cloud computing area. For the short time I was there, I felt I was contributing to the product. Team was small, decent work-life balance (people would finish working at around 7pm, sometimes people would leave earlier).
Location was good, I could live downtown Seattle and bike to work. Lockers and bike cages are available for biking to work

Cons

None of the perks of the normal Internet companies. A lot of options for lunch in the areas around the campus, even if a bit expensive sometimes.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Good experience in general"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people, cool problems, bottom-up decision-making

If you are young and aggressive, this is a place you can make real difference. Just make sure you get into a good team with a good manager.

Cons

Most Devs have to spend a significant amount of time in operation and supportive work, which can be a big distraction sometimes.

The operation mentality gets in the way of innovation too. Some managers are so afraid of making mistakes or causing customer complains, that they'd rather take mediocre baby steps rather than addressing the root causes. The company has a slogan: Amazon does not believe in Big Bang, which is totally understandable, but this is sometimes used as excuses for taking short cuts, making safe bets, and rewarding mediocre.

If Amazon pays so much attention to operation, you'd imagine that they would put much focus on QA, but ironically, QAs virtually do not exist at Amazon. The end result is that many Devs spend so much time fighting with the legacy system rather than building the new ones. I simply cannot understand the rationality of hiring top-notch Devs to push buttons, handling customer requests, and trivial bug fixes with over 6-digit salaries. Sure, any SDE job would come with a list of not-so-interesting tasks, but I haven't felt so mundane at my previous jobs, so I don't know.

Finally, the immigration service at Amazon is horrible. That only costs you a few thousand dollars, which is a tiny fraction of a SDE salary and your operation cost. Why don't you fix it so your International employees can spend less time worry about their GC and spend more time working for you?

Advice to Management

Hire more middle level managers, and try to reward the good ones.

"great place to work"

Current Employee - SDEI in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - SDEI in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly smart people and good management depending on team

Cons

on call will take a chunk out of work/life balance