Amazon - Worked myself sick for long hours, and they don't seem to care. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Worked myself sick for long hours, and they don't seem to care."

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Hebron, KY
Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Hebron, KY

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent, and there do seem to be plenty of opportunities for advancement if you're looking to stay in this line of work.

Cons

(Full disclosure: technically, I work for SMX|Staffing Management, within Amazon's CVG3 warehouse - "building 3"). The 10-hour-long shifts are dreadful when you're spending the entirety of them hauling heavy carts or pallets loaded down with product back and forth across an enormous warehouse over and over again, all day long. I was assigned to this and similar tasks every day for over three weeks, in spite of supposed rules in place to prevent this, and I developed blisters, back pain, and bronchitis rather quickly (oh, boy!). They won't excuse an absence due to illness without penalizing you in their ridiculous attendance "point" system. They wouldn't exempt me from mandatory overtime for an important appointment that was scheduled weeks before said overtime was even mentioned, nor would they give an exemption for something as personally significant as attending my brother's wedding! They just said, "oh, you'll have to take a hit on your attendance." Gosh, thanks! I guess they don't expect associates to have a life outside of the warehouse when they schedule 60-hour work weeks with no exceptions, saying, "come in to work, or else," and then inexplicably send about a third of the workforce home early because there's not enough for them to do! Sometimes it seems like the place is run by a mob of imbeciles, and I'm literally and figuratively sick of it.

Advice to Management

Revamp your associate training schemes so everyone is actually on the same page as far as procedures and policies, and be a little more open to the notion that your employees are human beings with lives that don't always revolve around rates and TAKT times!

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Worked in several teams"

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely customer-centric, values are in the right place, consistently interesting work

Cons

Career progression can be hard in some roles, can come across as a bit too frugal at times

"Two years is enough"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon "hordes" smart people and you work with a lot of smart people. The business is ever changing, even expanding so you get lots of opportunities and challenges.

Cons

Amazon likes to hire smart people but once they are in, the senior leadership does not spend time developing the people and does not "care" about them. Sometimes they hire people who are really over-qualified for the tasks, thus demoralizing people. Working people hard is ok, but leaders also must show that they appreciate and care.

Advice to Management

show that you care