Amazon - Amazon is a great company to start at. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Amazon is a great company to start at."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Competitive offers (not the best, but still well above average)
-Many of the teams have a similar feel to a start up
-It is in Seattle (I have mixed feelings about this)
-The people here are smart and motivated
-Has a kind of "hands off" management style, at least where I work. The mentality is that as long as I get my work done appropriately, all is good.
-You can go from team to team, department to department, and continuously learn new things. You can jump from low end server management to high end app development for example.
-The company is going places both from a financial sense (have you looked at their stock recently and its trend?) and a technology sense
-The teams are generally kept small and for my team at least, leads to better communication

Cons

-With some teams, work life balance is horrible. This is not all teams however, mostly the ones that manage the website directly and are responsible for keeping various services up and running. I have seen it both ways.
-It is in Seattle (I have mixed feelings about this)
-It can be difficult at times to get recognized for your hard work even if you go above and beyond the call of duty (please note I have not personally experiences this. Rather, it is a conclusion I have reached based off of my interactions with others and what I have seen)
-Team culture and work life balance varies from "I want to get out of here" to "I absolutely love it here and can't imagine myself anywhere else" I understand that this happens in many different companies, but I wish Amazon would work more to normalize this spectrum.

Advice to Management

Make sure employees know that their work is appreciated.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Great place to work if you can embrace the culture and work with others."

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest and passionate people you will meet. When Amazon talks about putting the customer first, it is not just talk. The entire focus of every team is figuring out how to serve their immediate customers better which in turn can be very exciting. The influence that a single person can have is great as high performers are able to take control of their career and do what they wish with it.

Cons

Some of the Microsoft-esque HR policies are infuriating. Pay is highly dependent on job family, which is silly when they encourage individuals to have an impact, regardless of job title/family.

The pay is not always going to be market level, especially if the stock is not doing well.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the job family guidelines for top performers.

"Was better before all the changes"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Grand Forks, ND
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Grand Forks, ND

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers and relaxed environment. Pay and benefits are great, hard to find another job that meets what they offer in this area. Work from Home opportunities

Cons

*Training needs to be changed. When I first started training was in depth and I hit the floor knowing what I was doing. With the past few positions I've taken, training has been minimal and I feel completely unprepared for the job at hand.

* Work from home staff gets forgotten and left out of on site functions.

* Monthly internet allowance of $25 doesn't cover half of my internet or phone bill.

* Leadership needs to be available more often and monitor the team members available time

* Huge amount of favoritism

* Under appreciated

* Company is micro-managed and has grown a lot faster than it seems can be handled at times

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your team. Make sure people are in avail when they should be and treat everyone on the team fairly. Don't offer special treatment to people or single out others just because you're buddies with them. This leaves workers on the phones short handed and feeling angry towards their leadership. Offer more to Work From Home. This is a large part of your company in Grand Forks, make sure we feel appreciated.