Amazon - Wonderful company culture, pretty good pay and benefits, chance of poor work/life balance | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Wonderful company culture, pretty good pay and benefits, chance of poor work/life balance"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone at Amazon is smart and fun to work with and do not subscribe to the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) that plagues software so big ideas can be followed through on. Compensation is generous with a salary, signing bonus, and restricted stock units. Hard work seems to rewarded with promotions and stock options, I have not been at the company long enough to have had my own experience with this.

Cons

Different teams at Amazon have wildly different experiences, which range from poor to awesome. Some teams have operational issues that basically turn their SDE's into highly paid support engineers that grinds software development to a halt and destroys work life balance due to every SDE having occasional 24-hour "on-call" duties. This is not the case on my current team, but definitely a risk for anyone taking a job at Amazon.

Advice to Management

Hire support engineers. SDE's maintaining their own software to promote quality sounds like a good idea, except employee turnover and role changing is high enough that most of the bad software teams are supporting was created by someone else.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

1. "Stealing their way to the top - one overpriced book at a time"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fast paced, fun, 4 day week, new and improved onsite coaching, weekly pay, paid training

Cons

bell model based land grabbers with lacking personality skills, even if you work hard and know you are working hard, HR will make it their responsibility to find you a position where you can
    struggle so they can follow company model of keeping the majority of their employees off the books. great for a young person. still in conflict over their original lease agreement since day one.
    unable or unwilling to pay corporate debts to original investors.

Advice to Management

smile, you have a job

2. "Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Ship Clerk in Breinigsville, PA
    Former Employee - Ship Clerk in Breinigsville, PA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people were great. I met a lot of people that I was happy to work with. Most of the area managers were good people.

Cons

They do not hire real managers. Most of them do not know how to deal with people. It is all data management which for Tier III or lower makes life miserable. We never had the help or people to accomplish what was needed. I personally got very little support from my managers.

Advice to Management

Need better communication. One purpose to a chain of command is that messages get passed down to those that need the information. Too often it was last minute information instead of planning and talking to people who need to be in the know. Very disappointed.