Amazon - Decent place to work | Glassdoor

"Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Ship Clerk in Breinigsville, PA
Former Employee - Ship Clerk in Breinigsville, PA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people were great. I met a lot of people that I was happy to work with. Most of the area managers were good people.

Cons

They do not hire real managers. Most of them do not know how to deal with people. It is all data management which for Tier III or lower makes life miserable. We never had the help or people to accomplish what was needed. I personally got very little support from my managers.

Advice to Management

Need better communication. One purpose to a chain of command is that messages get passed down to those that need the information. Too often it was last minute information instead of planning and talking to people who need to be in the know. Very disappointed.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

1. "Great place for start up meets big company"

Current Employee - Senior Manager With Development in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager With Development in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very innovative, very start up and very smart people. You must be on top of your game to survive. There is an inherent culture to minimize internal politics.

Cons

Very relentless, high pressure, fast burnout.

"Your peers are smart, but the culture is harsh"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazon hires very smart people. Getting hired is hard, but you will work with some of the brightest engineers out there.

The total compensation is nice. Do not flinch at having part of your compensation be RSUs. Even if stock price goes down, your compensation will be adjusted. Because Amazon sees RSU as part of the compensation, they will fix it with market fluctuations. There really is only upside. No, you won't retire on RSU....won't buy a house....maybe a nice car is stock goes through the roof.

Cons

The culture is one that encourages harsh behavior. If you present an idea or argument and can't back it up with data or facts - prepare to be humiliated. I tend to see folks last < 1 year or more than 5 years. In other words, you either are cut out for this environment or you're not.

The more senior the position (as management or as an individual contributor) the more aggressive you need to be.