Amazon - Working in the Fulfillment Center | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Working in the Fulfillment Center"

Current Employee - Trainer in West Columbia, SC
Current Employee - Trainer in West Columbia, SC

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There will always be work for you to do and you have the opportunity to learn different process paths if your area is slow.

Cons

People are treated like machines and numbers take precedent to anything else rather than customer obsession as the company claims. I find that operations and management are consistently inconsistent. I understand CAE 1 is a start up building but it should over the hump by now. Training is offered but managers are so number driven to where they won't even allow associates to complete their full training so they can hurry to get them on the floor to make a million mistakes, SMH.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage people effectively and goals will be met. Too much cut throat, dog eat dog atmosphere in the fc's but there is always room for improvement. A college degree DOES NOT make you an automatic manager, need to scrap that philosophy very quickly.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Fine company"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast moving, aggressive road map and interesting projects

Cons

workload is high, compensation is no longer very competitive

2. "Progressively Structured and Formal"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customer-centric and fast paced. Always launching new services to customers. Great peers and direct reports, everyone genuinely comes to work ready to work hard. I've seen many entry level employees move to management or analyst positions over the years. Some of the smartest leaders and managers I've worked with have come through the doors at Amazon. Pay is competitive.

Cons

Where once there was an environment for innovation there is red tape, especially in operations where front line associates want so badly to be heard and respected. Fast growth and formal structure is overtaking the informal and unstructured culture that was once sought after. Poor hiring decisions - There are so many new mid/high level managers hired externally who do not exude Amazon leadership principles. They have MBA's but don't know how to work with people, develop or inspire them.

Advice to Management

Company culture is waning. Remember what it means to be an Amazonian, and the pride behind the brand years ago. I've seen more reliable, smart, inventive people who were going to be lifers with Amazon leave in the last two years. My newly hired peers typically shy away from healthy debate. Hear what your front line employees are saying they are the backbone of the company.