Amazon - Things Seem To Be Getting Better, But Still Some Issues.... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Things Seem To Be Getting Better, But Still Some Issues...."

Current Employee - Associate/Ambassador in Lexington-Fayette, KY
Current Employee - Associate/Ambassador in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its been 18 months since my last review, and since then I feel that things have been improving. Amazon started coaching managers in how to do the associate's jobs, and that has made it easier for them to understand problems and help make solutions. Our management in the areas of outbound where I work has been great and they have been very easy to get along with. I have been employed for nearly 5 years now and it seems that in the last year and a half more emphasis has been placed on quality and safety than in years before.

There has also been a more postive outlook among the associates in my area, which has made working here more enjoyable. (Or at least they are not complaining as much?)

Cons

The worst thing about this job is the constant management turnover. As soon as you get used to somebody they are gone. I understand that they want to move on up, but for some reason they have to go to another facility to do that, when that particular job opportunity is also opening up in same facility. It doesn't make any sense. They also have a bad habit of hiring outside the facility and not promoting from within as much as they should. I don't know if there is some sort of quota the facilites have to go by, but plenty of associates have applied for tier 3 jobs only to have another employee from another facility get the job.

This last peak season we had issues with filling hiring slots. Amazon has been in our town long enough for the whole place to know what it is like to work here. I have heard from people "on the street" ask me what is going on over there, as they know people who have worked here and they do not want to go back. Every time it has been about the picking department. They all say the same thing; "we feel that we are set up to fail". Until the pick department takes care of this problem the hiring for peak may get worse and worse. The associates who work in the facility do not like to go to pick, and it has been like this for the 5 years I have been there. I have read the VOA board and their has yet to be any solutions for the problems with the department.

Advice to Management

This would be more for the company: PLEASE take care of your area managers, Ops, Senior Ops, and everyone else in tier three. For those with family the work/life balance is horrible, especially around the fall and peak seasons. 90 hours a week at peak may be ok for an unmarried person, but for somebody who has kids and a spouse it seems very anti-family.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Good company, but easy to burn out"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging. Innovative. Iterates to perfection. Customer-centric.

Cons

Bureaucratic. Overburdens employees. Cheap, not frugal.

Advice to Management

Hire for the work needed rather than assign work to whomever is available.

2. "Like a Phd in large scale systems"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

You'll work with smart people and learn a lot

Cons

Decent but not great compensation. On call can be painful

Advice to Management

The teams I've worked on where there's a separate on call group to handle the pages and only escalate to SDEs when necessary have been less stressful and just as effective. Use this model more. Also, getting promoted from SDE II is a hit and miss proposition (a lot depends on your manager); fix this, as you're losing good people because of it.