Amazon - Loved the job until I was dismissed with no warning and no notice | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Loved the job until I was dismissed with no warning and no notice"

Former Employee - Back Office Associate III in Huntington, WV
Former Employee - Back Office Associate III in Huntington, WV

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pleasant environment.
Often freebies, snacks, food... etc.
They seem to care about customers

Cons

The pay isn't the greatest, but good for the area.
They can fire you out of the blue with no warning and no discipline steps.

Advice to Management

Don't let HR bully you management, stand up for your employees. How can you admit you don't believe there was any intentional wrong-doing, then fire a person anyway with no written, no final, no nothing. This was the only job I've ever had that I actually liked. Thanks for ruining it for me.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Great over all learning experience"

Current Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Startup like work environment with energy

Cons

Work pressure is high, cannot have work life balance

Advice to Management

better workplace needed

"Amazon will eat your soul"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best part about Amazon is its focus on ownership. You really have the opportunity to contribute to your project, and in more ways than just "here's the feature, code it up". You get to think of how you want to improve the project and are encouraged to do so in anyway you can.

There's not much to say about compensation and benefits. They're around average, but I still list it as a pro.

Free snacks in the kitchen.

Cons

I can't imagine having less work-life balance.

We don't get sick days, so when you get sick you come in to work and give whatever you have to everyone else (and they return the favor, hooray!). They don't bother mentioning it in the offer, so it comes as a pretty big shock when you get sick - "Oh, by the way we're the only major company ever to not offer sick days." Of course you can take some of your very limited vacation days instead if you want (that is, if you even have any saved up).

Another perk they don't tell you about: being on call. They don't have Ops teams here and barely have Customer Service, so as an SDE you get to play both. Getting paged at 3am for issues beyond your control is not a lot of fun, and neither is responding to customer issues all day with "this behavior is expected".

And I hear if you're in Seattle, it's even worse (as in, even less work-life balance). God help our Seattle brethren.

Advice to Management

Management is pretty open about the high turnover rate (gee, I wonder why people are leaving) with the average person leaving after about 6 months. So my advice would be: If you're *that* aware of the problem, *do something* about it. Let me recover when I'm sick. Stop taking your product so seriously that if a small portion is down for a few minutes you need to wake up your devs to "fix" it (sit around and wait for it to fix itself).