Amazon - I like my job for the time being. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"I like my job for the time being."

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

I have great coworkers and like the type of work I'm doing for now.

Cons

Getting promoted is really hard.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Things Seem To Be Getting Better, But Still Some Issues...."

Current Employee - Associate/Ambassador in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Associate/Ambassador in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its been 18 months since my last review, and since then I feel that things have been improving. Amazon started coaching managers in how to do the associate's jobs, and that has made it easier for them to understand problems and help make solutions. Our management in the areas of outbound where I work has been great and they have been very easy to get along with. I have been employed for nearly 5 years now and it seems that in the last year and a half more emphasis has been placed on quality and safety than in years before.

There has also been a more postive outlook among the associates in my area, which has made working here more enjoyable. (Or at least they are not complaining as much?)

Cons

The worst thing about this job is the constant management turnover. As soon as you get used to somebody they are gone. I understand that they want to move on up, but for some reason they have to go to another facility to do that, when that particular job opportunity is also opening up in same facility. It doesn't make any sense. They also have a bad habit of hiring outside the facility and not promoting from within as much as they should. I don't know if there is some sort of quota the facilites have to go by, but plenty of associates have applied for tier 3 jobs only to have another employee from another facility get the job.

This last peak season we had issues with filling hiring slots. Amazon has been in our town long enough for the whole place to know what it is like to work here. I have heard from people "on the street" ask me what is going on over there, as they know people who have worked here and they do not want to go back. Every time it has been about the picking department. They all say the same thing; "we feel that we are set up to fail". Until the pick department takes care of this problem the hiring for peak may get worse and worse. The associates who work in the facility do not like to go to pick, and it has been like this for the 5 years I have been there. I have read the VOA board and their has yet to be any solutions for the problems with the department.

Advice to Management

This would be more for the company: PLEASE take care of your area managers, Ops, Senior Ops, and everyone else in tier three. For those with family the work/life balance is horrible, especially around the fall and peak seasons. 90 hours a week at peak may be ok for an unmarried person, but for somebody who has kids and a spouse it seems very anti-family.

"Amazon will eat your soul"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best part about Amazon is its focus on ownership. You really have the opportunity to contribute to your project, and in more ways than just "here's the feature, code it up". You get to think of how you want to improve the project and are encouraged to do so in anyway you can.

There's not much to say about compensation and benefits. They're around average, but I still list it as a pro.

Free snacks in the kitchen.

Cons

I can't imagine having less work-life balance.

We don't get sick days, so when you get sick you come in to work and give whatever you have to everyone else (and they return the favor, hooray!). They don't bother mentioning it in the offer, so it comes as a pretty big shock when you get sick - "Oh, by the way we're the only major company ever to not offer sick days." Of course you can take some of your very limited vacation days instead if you want (that is, if you even have any saved up).

Another perk they don't tell you about: being on call. They don't have Ops teams here and barely have Customer Service, so as an SDE you get to play both. Getting paged at 3am for issues beyond your control is not a lot of fun, and neither is responding to customer issues all day with "this behavior is expected".

And I hear if you're in Seattle, it's even worse (as in, even less work-life balance). God help our Seattle brethren.

Advice to Management

Management is pretty open about the high turnover rate (gee, I wonder why people are leaving) with the average person leaving after about 6 months. So my advice would be: If you're *that* aware of the problem, *do something* about it. Let me recover when I'm sick. Stop taking your product so seriously that if a small portion is down for a few minutes you need to wake up your devs to "fix" it (sit around and wait for it to fix itself).