Amazon - Work/life balance depends on your manager, your manager will probably change many times | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Work/life balance depends on your manager, your manager will probably change many times"

Current Employee - Associate Vendor Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Associate Vendor Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• Great customer focus, makes it worth building/optimizing customer-facing experiences
• The company encourages moving around every 18-24 months, so the exposure to variety is great if you can survive the demanding work environment
• It seems to be widely known that this is a harsh working environment so it speaks to your dedication and skill level to work here for any extended period of time.

Cons

• Work/life balance
- Promotion (dedicate your days, nights and weekends)
- Maintain your level (have solid wins, be ready to push back in order to get a better work/life balance)
- Squeeze by (you'll probably get fired fairly quickly)

• Even high performers get screwed on promotions and compensation, your offer pretty much explains exactly what you will be paid over the first 4 years

Advice to Management

The stock can't get people here forever; work on surveying your employees to find out what they really value and start offering that.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Growing too fast, things slipping through the cracks"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coaching.
    Employee Discounts.
    Customers that are appreciative of assistance.
    Opportunity to telecommute.
    Chance to earn prizes and bonus.

Cons

Cost of BYOD [bring your own device] far more than communicated and ultimately far less valid given the limited seasonal employment. Probably spent at least my first week's pay covering the cost of working there for 3 or 4 months.

HR is not very competent. Told I would be hired, then ap lost had to drive across state to another recruiting drive elsewhere to get situation addressed. Also scheduling tools inaccurate - dinged for taking time systems said I had. Also was yanked back and forth on holiday scheduling multiple times daily during holiday weeks as to whether I would be working. Showed up then told I wasn't on schedule.

Felt training was inconsistent. Great to have it, but some trainers were not very knowledgeable. Lots of valuable time wasted on silly stuff. System errors often caused need to retake tests, and some answers were not current. Tactfully / constructively mentioned errors but not sure feedback was entirely appreciated :-)

My metrics / ratings were good but not hired on post season at the last minute. Cannot get unemployment because they haven't filed my income with the state. Lost out on a new job because last step was potential employer need to get more than an employment verification. Cannot apply for jobs with Amazon from outside because the system still thinks I work there and need to apply via the internal system.

Advice to Management

Growth & taking risks is great -- just don't become the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory

Probably would have rated you three stars while I was there.

Dropped to one based on how things shook out and how poorly treated after giving heart and soul during holiday peak.

"Great company becoming good!"

Current Employee - HRBP in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - HRBP in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity! Great work environment with lot's of growth. Opportunities to roll up your sleeves and get work done.

Cons

Way too many hires from Microsoft and the company is becoming bureaucratic with a lot of posing and undermining others. Before you did not have to worry about politics and could focus on your work but now work has aloes down, more meetings and ess productivity. Many old Amazonian's have left, not simply from stock vest but because the work-people are coming to the company since the stock has done well, not because they want to work hard, have fun and make history!

Advice to Management

Do something to screen people who are interested in the company for greed and a self interest.
    HR needs improvement. No ethics!