Amazon - Work hard(er), have (some) fun, make history. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Work hard(er), have (some) fun, make history."

Current Employee - Safety
Current Employee - Safety

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay. You are well compensated for your time while hourly, but once crossing the bridge to salaried...
stocks. Variable compensation bonus (monthly or quarterly) . You will work hard, but its challenging/interesting work.

Cons

work. life. balance. Have a kid? be prepared not to see them. Same for a spouse. Once you are a level 4 (area manager and up) prepared to work from home answering emails almost constantly. Its a fine fit for someone young/single but beyond that, the hours 50-55 regularly, 70-80 during "peak" if not more.

Advice to Management

Balance the work loads better by hiring more staff. Standard work is a buzz word we throw about constatly, but its not practiced from building to building and shift to shift.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Growing too fast, things slipping through the cracks"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coaching.
    Employee Discounts.
    Customers that are appreciative of assistance.
    Opportunity to telecommute.
    Chance to earn prizes and bonus.

Cons

Cost of BYOD [bring your own device] far more than communicated and ultimately far less valid given the limited seasonal employment. Probably spent at least my first week's pay covering the cost of working there for 3 or 4 months.

HR is not very competent. Told I would be hired, then ap lost had to drive across state to another recruiting drive elsewhere to get situation addressed. Also scheduling tools inaccurate - dinged for taking time systems said I had. Also was yanked back and forth on holiday scheduling multiple times daily during holiday weeks as to whether I would be working. Showed up then told I wasn't on schedule.

Felt training was inconsistent. Great to have it, but some trainers were not very knowledgeable. Lots of valuable time wasted on silly stuff. System errors often caused need to retake tests, and some answers were not current. Tactfully / constructively mentioned errors but not sure feedback was entirely appreciated :-)

My metrics / ratings were good but not hired on post season at the last minute. Cannot get unemployment because they haven't filed my income with the state. Lost out on a new job because last step was potential employer need to get more than an employment verification. Cannot apply for jobs with Amazon from outside because the system still thinks I work there and need to apply via the internal system.

Advice to Management

Growth & taking risks is great -- just don't become the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory

Probably would have rated you three stars while I was there.

Dropped to one based on how things shook out and how poorly treated after giving heart and soul during holiday peak.

"A place where my voice is heard, and I look forward to going every morning."

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent job satisfaction (coming from customer focus)
    Very laid back dress code & atmosphere
    Can bring my dog to work.
    reimburse for parking
    Lots of extremely smart people all around me
    highering bar is very high which means people who make it in are

Cons

Can get hectic at times - meaning some weeks are difficult and long.
    Some people who don't set boundaries can burn out fast
    Turn over can be pretty high - usually due to moving on and up to better positions, but sometimes due to burn out.

Advice to Management

Be aware and take steps to combat burn out so the people who are raising the bar are able to continue working at the company.
    Keep doing everything else just as well as it is.