Amazon - Warehouse employees are REQUIRED to work to the bone! Beware it is tuff work! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Warehouse employees are REQUIRED to work to the bone! Beware it is tuff work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hebron, KY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hebron, KY

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon offers great benefits like stock shares when you are full- time. Always busy so hours aren't and issue and competitive pay raises**! You receive a raise every six months then they are given annually. Quick and easy to make money with a seasonal position.

Cons

Seasonal is comparable to sweatshop work! Very tuff physical labor and expect a mandatory schedule of 60 hours.- full time positions have been rumored ( and lived up to) unemployment after " maxing out on their payroll scales... Warehouse workers will make about $14 hourly and they find ways to fire people ( not my experience) after they have been maxed at the $14** hr mark.... You max out after about 4 years, right when employees are comfortable with their position and relying on the income... Amazon hubs do not seem to value their employees and do not tell a whole lot about their company in whole upon highering... Let alone your position and what your position means to the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Digital growing pains"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

working to create new digital experiences and new platforms is cool, get to work with some smart people, brand recognition of amazon is great, stock price is doing well.

Cons

HR/Performance management systems are stuck in the 90's and don't encourage growth or risk taking. Middle management is under trained and in experienced - folks getting promoted based on politics and connections not on skills. Lack of people investment, people are worked hard and get burnt out.

The digital org - kindle + others - has grown incredibly quickly leading to some of these cons. Not sure how these issues exist in retail, aws or other orgs but lots of people are leaving digital for those orgs.

Advice to Management

Communicate vision better, talk more to ground level employees, clean up mgmt orgs - take care of your people

"Some good opportunities but will mostly just use you"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people working there so you can network and meet people that might help you with your career. If you get a position where you enjoy the actual work, you will get to do it All the time so if you love what you do, there is no shortage of work. It is rarely dull. There is good opportunity to work on your portfolio/experience etc.

Cons

There is very little work life balance here. Prepare to have to work all the time. Unless you have a really good manager, you are going to feel like just a number where there is very little care for you and your time. I experienced extremely negative and detrimental treatment while working here. In fact, if I didn't have obvious good work in my portfolio, my experience with Amazon could of ruined my career entirely. They brought me in for my skills, had me teach them to others, and then simply treated me like something disposable that could be thrown out like trash when they didn't want to pay me anymore. Alot of the managers aren't on the cutting edge of technology like they try to say and live in a little conservative bubble. Outside the box thinking is going extinct there. Most people working there are extremely angry all the time and burnt out. They think throwing more developers at a problem will fix it, but some things aren't fixed by more code.

Advice to Management

Make the environment positive to work in and end the culture of fear.