Amazon - Leave amazon alone if you're not a workaholic | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Leave amazon alone if you're not a workaholic"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-decent pay & signon bonus.
-Big company, talent teammates.

Cons

-unrealistic project schedule, but manager don't think so, they think devs can solve all the problems in a short time. Managers don't care about devs.
-teammates are very aggressive.
-oncall is horrible. you're paid as SDE but you're also doing the job as SDET and support engineer

Advice to Management

Slow down a little bit and do a better schedule, if you're not coding, please take some time to rethink if some features are realistic for the devs. Try to be nice to non-native speakers, we're human not machines.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"This company took a lot out of me"

Former Employee - Packer in Jeffersonville, IN
    Former Employee - Packer in Jeffersonville, IN

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The supervisors were friendly and personable. The benefits were good.

Cons

They weren't fair with some of their policies such as being cross-trained in different areas. Also they forced overtime when not needed. Would not let the workers lean on something making us have to stand in one spot for 10 hours. The air inside the facility was harmful to me.

Advice to Management

Lighten up and treat your employees better.

"Bait and Switch"

Current Employee - Picking in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Picking in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Facility was very clean is pretty much it.

Cons

A/C set at 87 degrees in Phoenix in July. Employees are rude and run into you. Many employees sporting gang tattoos and apparel. Was not told during orientation or first few days that 10 minutes were allowed daily for bathroom breaks, if needed, which means in the calculated 24 minutes a day, per shift, that you can sit down on a break/lunch, you deduct more time if nature calls. They see sweaty people rushing about like ants on crack but will not allow PowerAde or Gatorade onto the floor, where health wise, when you sweat like that, water doesn't cut it when you marathon walk for three hours at a time.

Advice to Management

Raise the A/C temperature. Be nice to your employees by giving them 20 minutes per break and 45 for lunch. Maybe having a variety of schedules of part-time or 8 hour shifts. Stop hiring gang members - that tats give them away, hint, hint. Have staff go around checking on employees to make sure they are not having heat exhaustion. Drop your times so they are not so "only a professional athlete" could run the mods -- I had two minutes to get from one end to the other and there was no way I could do it, it wasn't fair.