Amazon - Smart people, challenging problems, long hours, good luck getting promoted | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Smart people, challenging problems, long hours, good luck getting promoted"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Low tolerance for bs
Document-based meetings make sure people have thought things through
Very smart leadership

Cons

Managers are too busy to coach, or manage
Long, long hours
Un-even promotion bar across departments, low promotion rate to Sr. Manager or higher - bar is a lot lower for external hires into higher level position than in-house promotion

Advice to Management

If you find someone good enough to rate at the highest level for three consecutive reviews, promote them or coach them, or they will leave and work for your competitor.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Amazon"

Current Contractor - Catalog Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Catalog Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I cannot come up with any pros

Cons

Dont work there they are a very stressfull place to work for. They hired people and let them go one week after training. So they were only around for one week after training. If you do not become a pro in a short amount of time then they will let you go.

"Hype, Smoke and Mirrors. No Substance and no longevity."

Former Employee - Development Support Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Development Support Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It looks fantastic on a resume, I think.

Cons

Amazon charges you to work there in forms of food, drinks and so on. It's a very expensive place to work, staying on campus and eating "healthy" will run you roughly $18-20 a day, or $100/week. That means before taxes you should expect to spend $5200/year on simply being at work. After taxes that's almost a single paycheck. Paychecks are only drafted on the first of the month, meaning if something happens and it drains your account, you may be looking at up to 30 days before you see another dollar.

Management doesn't care about you, you're replaceable and they make that very clear to you right on day one. Don't like it? Well, we have a relocation and bonus hanging over your head to live in one of the most expensive cities in America. We can -- and will fire you and then you'll owe us 10-15 thousand dollars; or we'll sue you.

It's abysmal, not worth working here. If you want to live in Seattle. Work at Boeing or Microsoft.

I came up with my indentured servitude payments and quit. It cost me $14,500 to realize that Amazon was a horrible place. Don't make the same mistake as me.

Advice to Management

Quit. All of you, quit.