Amazon - Fire hose, lots of talent, constant change, high bar, rewarding. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Fire hose, lots of talent, constant change, high bar, rewarding."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm with the AWS side of the company and I've been impressed with how much talent you are surrounded by. Things are very dynamic with often interesting problems to solve and great community feeling of knowledge sharing. Also fun with frequent parties and beer bash type social events.

Cons

My view is that of an SE which is a smaller subset of the people at Amazon. The skills you need to get in here aren't going to be used (generally speaking) once you get here. Lots of things are done in very Amazon specific ways (for scale) that may not translate to smaller companies. This isn't a 'con' so much as a word of caution depending on your career goals and position.

Advice to Management

Sometimes there's too much overhead. Dealing with external vendors for example which is a requirement in some cases.. is very painful and protracted. Another example is the work built around forecasting... For a company that changes direction with major projects so frequently is it really wise to spend so many cycles forecasting out more than 1 year at the team level?

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

1. "Was difficult work but got paid well, For the type of warehouse job I was doing"

Former Employee - Problem Solver in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Problem Solver in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for warehouse work

Cons

Long hours and hard work.

Advice to Management

Make sure you don't treat your employees like grade schoolers as if they do not know anything. Some of them may have masters degrees and you won't even know it. Just sayin...

2. "AWS"

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging, collaborative work environment with minimal bureaucracy. Interesting work that's on the forefront of the field. The customer-centric culture leads to steady innovation and quality products that are always improving.

Cons

Some teams have a rough on-call. AWS seemed a bit less laid back than some other departments.