Amazon - Internship Lesson: Lead your own internship, take initiative, don't be afraid to ask q's. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Internship Lesson: Lead your own internship, take initiative, don't be afraid to ask q's."

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazon is a true software company that will get you thinking about important scalability problems and other internet-scale issues. (however, I didn't do this a whole lot during my internship as my project was different)
- My team always ate lunch together every day (this is pretty rare though at Amazon)
- Manager had great 'emotional intelligence' and people skills. (although was very busy at the same time and only talked with him/her a couple times/week)
- They try hard to make the interns feel valued and involved!

Cons

This was my first industry experience, so I'm not sure how it compares with other companies but here goes:
- Pager duties for FTE's. (work-life balance is hard enough without the oncall responsibility!)
- Can be hard to concentrate at desk (slightly crowded, distracted by misc. talk, nerf gun battles)
- Ramp-up time for learning Amazon tools can be long.
- Although I believe we can only become better developers by being pushed out of our comfort zone, I often went home (almost) every night feeling unsatisfied [didn't feel my work impacted the company]
- Honestly, I feel like I learned more in 4 weeks' worth of college CS classes than I did in my entire internship (maybe 'cuz a lot had to be learned on my own and even then there are gaps in knowledge of proper way to do things)

Since my internship was for only 3 months, I feel like I would be telling a different story if the internship were 6 months or longer (I might be happier?). The learning curve at the beginning is painful and still goes on even at end of my internship (there's always something to learn about some team at Amazon).

Advice to Management

Encourage all employees under your management to be more 'professional' (some act a little like kids and/or are arrogant/disrespectful).

We're all in this together; we're all here to make Amazon a better company for our customers so why not be nice to each other? Constructive feedback and 'pushback' is important, but delivery of that feedback is also noteworthy.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

1. "My Amazon story"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth. It is possible move up from entry level associate. Growth is associated with performance. Day to day features new/different challenges. Focus on the customer is contagious.

Cons

Change is constant, if you don't like change you will not succeed here. Expectations and workload can be excessive at times.

"HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NIce buildings and good cafeteria food which you will need because if you are not a software engineer you will NEVER leave the building.

Cons

Everything. I do no have one positive thing to say. My first week of work I was scolded because I did not take my cell phone to the ladies room with me. REALLY. If you want to work 15 hour days in an incredibly stressful environment for slightly over the market rate for support positions this is the place for you. Executive Assistants - ask yourself if money is worth more than your life. Stay away - this company does not value people. It values Jeff B.'s bank account. Do not fool yourself into thinking anything else. Pay attention to how many people only stay here for three years and then leave - you have to stay three years to cash in on your first stock award. Some people get hooked into the cycle and stay longer, but many choose to leave the insanity at the three year mark. Everyone I have talked to who left the company is THRILLED to not work there anymore. Amazon churns through people and simply does not care - hopefully Karma will catch up with them at some point. This is the only company I have ever resigned from and that was the best decision of my life.

Advice to Management

Learn to be human. Recognize that the only reason you exist is to pad Jeff B.'s bank account. Enjoy your Tesla before you have a heart attack.