Amazon - its worth working for this company. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"its worth working for this company."

Current Employee - Picker in Reno, NV
Current Employee - Picker in Reno, NV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

it keeps you so busy.

Cons

just want to get hired for fulltime with amazon.

Advice to Management

I don't have any like the management

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"A behemoth with a decent soul. But still a behemoth."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon is a top-notch place to work if one is looking for myriad skills and experiences working in the world of e-commerce, not only for personal development but also as a resume builder. Additionally, they do maintain, in my opinion, a very clear and positive focus on creating "the best possible customer experience". That's a philosophy I could easily get behind. Also, Amazon encourages employees to move around a lot laterally, which means that if you don't like your role, it's always possible to find something else internally. Also, given the intensity of the work environment, people leave on a regular basis, creating openings for you ladder climbers out there.

Cons

This depends largely on one's department, team, and job function, just as at any big company. But as far as I could tell, most employees are overworked, scrambling to keep their heads above water while maintaining high quality (a must to succeed at Amazon). Amazon is proud to be a "lean" organization, which means teams have little or no backup should key people go on vacation, become ill, or take some other form of leave. And it also means that everyone has, pretty much at all times, a mountain of work to climb. If you're looking for a job environment with an ebb and flow, Amazon isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Splurge a bit on team size to allow employees room to breathe and maintain their focus on quality output--I've seen people sleep in the office during key launches over the course of several weeks. This is never an acceptable environment. And employees should feel comfortable taking their vacations. Instead, I saw lots of anxiety about the work that would not get down because there's insufficient staffing to pick up any of the slack when people are out of office. Re-think the hiring process where "bar raisers" from other teams are given the power to veto candidates who may otherwise have been given unanimous support by the team actually trying to do the hiring. This leads to trouble filling crucial roles, at times.

"Amazon is set up to be an amazing company, but must only live and breath them at all times."

Current Employee - Process Assistant Level III
    Current Employee - Process Assistant Level III

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company itself is always growing and therefor always room to advance, in theory. If the culture is actually held up like it is supposed to, then nice place to work. The stocks are very nice as well! If the company ran how Bezos dreamt up, I would never leave.

Cons

Upper management can be very difficult to work for and lack the understanding of the bottom man because a lot of them are hired from the outside and have never done the job. Depending on where you are at the pay can be lacking sometimes.

Advice to Management

Listen to the lower people, they will make you or break you!