Amazon - Ownership culture, interesting technology, and a bright future | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Ownership culture, interesting technology, and a bright future"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon is an amazing company - I haven't seen anything like it. It's a place where you're encouraged to "Think Big" while still having to focus on the details and deliver results. There are truly incredible people working here, and it's easy to reach across the organization and benefit from their knowledge. This is a company where displays of true ownership are rewarded. If you see a problem or an opportunity, don't wait for someone else to give you permission to look at it - go and see! Sure, you shouldn't go off for two weeks working on something new without telling anyone, but management is open to hearing about ideas about what needs to be done.

The Vancouver office is a "remote" office in that it's a few hours away from the corporate HQ in Seattle, but the culture here is very much Amazonian. The leadership principles are consistent across the company (although occasionally open to interpretation), and as we continue to grow the office feels more and more like a "1st class" Amazon office every day.

Amazon has had a bad reputation about operational load, but I can only speak to my own experience - the load is minimal. It is very rare that someone on my team gets paged because of an issue, and almost always that takes place during business time. Having the team handle operations, instead of sourcing it out to a dedicated support team, instills a strong quality ethic in the team and as a result the software is of much higher quality.

Cons

Amazon is great place, but it's also a huge and varied place. Your Amazon experience will depend largely on two things - how much of a self-started you are, and what team you're on.

There are a lot of opportunities, but you need to reach out and grab them. Very little will be spoon-fed to you unless you are at the lowest levels, and even then there is an expectation of motivation and initiative (or "bias for action"). Waiting for the action to come to you is not a successful strategy, be it interesting projects, new technologies, promotions, or anything else.

Amazon is relatively decentralized, meaning that it's up to each organization, division, and even manager to run their group the way they want. Sometimes things will be circumstantial - inheriting a legacy system, etc. - but often a manager's or organization's policies will greatly impact how much you like work here. Luckily, people are relatively free to move around within the company, so unhappy teams will bleed developers to teams with better reputations.

Advice to Management

Handling a company that's growing as rapidly as this one is difficult. I think you are doing a good job, but one way of improving would be to be more transparent as to how things in the employee survey are handled. Many of them ARE getting handled, but it's not always obvious how.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Goog GGGGooGood"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good package, Exposure to cutting edge technologies

Cons

Sometime you need to manage time, Work life balance can be at risk

Advice to Management

Have separate QA team for each team

2. "It is very good company to work with Amazon India."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Noida (India)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon India provides very good environment to work.

Cons

I think that there is no cons to work with Amazon India. It is Amazing.