Amazon - A behemoth with a decent soul. But still a behemoth. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"A behemoth with a decent soul. But still a behemoth."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon is a top-notch place to work if one is looking for myriad skills and experiences working in the world of e-commerce, not only for personal development but also as a resume builder. Additionally, they do maintain, in my opinion, a very clear and positive focus on creating "the best possible customer experience". That's a philosophy I could easily get behind. Also, Amazon encourages employees to move around a lot laterally, which means that if you don't like your role, it's always possible to find something else internally. Also, given the intensity of the work environment, people leave on a regular basis, creating openings for you ladder climbers out there.

Cons

This depends largely on one's department, team, and job function, just as at any big company. But as far as I could tell, most employees are overworked, scrambling to keep their heads above water while maintaining high quality (a must to succeed at Amazon). Amazon is proud to be a "lean" organization, which means teams have little or no backup should key people go on vacation, become ill, or take some other form of leave. And it also means that everyone has, pretty much at all times, a mountain of work to climb. If you're looking for a job environment with an ebb and flow, Amazon isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Splurge a bit on team size to allow employees room to breathe and maintain their focus on quality output--I've seen people sleep in the office during key launches over the course of several weeks. This is never an acceptable environment. And employees should feel comfortable taking their vacations. Instead, I saw lots of anxiety about the work that would not get down because there's insufficient staffing to pick up any of the slack when people are out of office. Re-think the hiring process where "bar raisers" from other teams are given the power to veto candidates who may otherwise have been given unanimous support by the team actually trying to do the hiring. This leads to trouble filling crucial roles, at times.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Amazon.com is a very busy warehouse, seems kike you don't rest there."

Current Employee - Stoer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Stoer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's good money and not too hard.

Cons

you can't take it easy during peak periods.

Advice to Management

Be more explanitory on what your goals and expectations are.

2. "Great learning experience"

Current Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Tempe, AZ
    Current Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-very good salary
    -fast growing company
    -mostly interesting projects to work on
    -if you are not in HQ, you still get to travel to Seattle every once in a while
    -very smart people working there.

Cons

-lots of work may cause poor work/life balance. This didn't apply to me as I was an intern, but a lot of the times it was clear my team was working way more than I was