Amazon - Growing so fast that middle management is poor | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Growing so fast that middle management is poor"

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Startup feeling in a company with tens of thousands of employees
A great community especially in Seattle, outside of Seattle in other offices the feeling is a very stark difference to the Amazon culture (could be a con)
Lots of projects, sky is the limit!

Cons

The company likes to promote within for middle management but does not commit to training these managers to be good managers. Managers rarely can be an individual contributor and a manager effectively at the same time however there does not seem to be the same focus into bringing management on par with the ideals of Amazon. In the last couple months I've been told don't worry about the customers, be selfish, the team doesn't need to know why you are making these decisions, etc.

Advice to Management

Take a strong look at the course of the company and remind middle management to stop changing the bar to suit their needs and twisting the leadership principles.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Always wondered what it would be like working in Communist Russia"

Former Employee - Dock Clerk/Associate in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Dock Clerk/Associate in Allentown, PA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay. Thank god for capitalism and the free market or else they'd pay you chump change. Turns out they actually pay you really well (if you're not a temp) and give you ALOT of time off (again, if you're not a temp.) This is because of the cons. Also, don't plan on having a life between OCT and JAN 1st. Youll be working your bum off 60 hours a week. Last "peak" season I would work 730-6 Mon-Sat mandatory then sleep all day sunday cause I was exausted...My sleep pattern became so messed up it really threw my whole body for a big shock.

Cons

Basically everything. To be a manager, you just have to hold a degree in anything. So your being led by some guy with a 2 year liberal arts degree. This company tells you outright it doesn't give a ____ about you, it cares about its customers. Again, thank god for labor laws or else they'd fill their huge warehouses with slaves.

Advice to Management

Take some management classes

"nice"

Former Contractor - Human Resources Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Human Resources Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Big Company, High Growth, great salary, beautiful workplace, easy to commute

Cons

Managers difficult to handle, high volume of work, priority changes last minute

Advice to Management

Give some space to your juniors and let them do what they think