Amazon - Software Enginer | Glassdoor

"Software Enginer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top-notch engineering talent and excellent compensation

Cons

Very aggressive, not lifestyle-friendly, very focused on making money, sometimes feels like a Wall Street firm. Not for the long-term unless you can be aggressive day-in and day-out for years and years

Advice to Management

Relax a bit, and respect people more

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Miserable"

Former Employee - Stower in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Stower in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Though inflexible, management and HR were consistently friendly.

Cons

Inflexible management, respiratory irritants (heavy dust, chemical smells), rigid work schedule, short lunch break with no cafeteria options (with rigid sign in sign out requirements and a lot of walking involved - turning a 30 minute break into more like a 15 - 20 minute one), poor communication practices pre-hire (was not given HR contact info until a week before I started and 3 weeks after I've been hired - and then she never answered my emails), long wait after hire to start working (a month), insulting 1984 "ministry of truth" style propaganda at every turn ("Have Fun" is a motto posted on the walls of every room in the place and repeated daily after every team meeting - no one has fun being a machine for 10 hours without a real break to speak of), not given any say in work hours after starting (was not given option to switch to night shift)

Advice to Management

A 30 minute lunch break in a 10 hour shift is sad and pathetic. Give employees the option to leave early for a longer lunch if they want. Get a cafeteria or at least offer more healthy vending machines options than the processed crap currently available, assign new hires an HR representative to get in touch with for any questions as soon as the initial interview is scheduled - and retain that person throughout the process. Do something about the dust or provide masks (a coworker I went through orientation only lasted 1 and a half weeks because of reactions to the heavy dust exposure, and I got sick myself). Stop with the propaganda. Give employees some options as far as their shift rather than simply assigning.

On a broader note, stop selling everything regardless of how ethically it was produced or what kinds of harmful chemicals it was made with. You started out selling books, a noble profession indeed - but apparently that wasn't enough and now you've got your hands in everything. I joined because I heard the warehouse I was working in was for small items like books and dvds. I was saddened to find that was only a small percentage of what trafficked through that warehouse and that I had to work with. Most of my day was spent amongst needless and environmentally harmful consumer crap. So on many levels I was disappointed and unhappy with my experience there.

"People come and go"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A perfect place for singles and workaholics.

Cons

Passive attitude due to too many works.
    Engineers are responsible for most of operational works and oncall.

Advice to Management

I don't think even startups treat their people like this. People leave, majority of new hires are graduates. See the long term.