Amazon - Great company to work for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Great company to work for."

Former Employee - Talent Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Talent Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative and collaborative...great workplace. Always cutting edge work and forward thinkers.

Cons

Can wear many hats in this organization; however that is why Amz is growing.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Working at Amazon isn't nearly as good as being a customer of Amazon.com"

Former Intern - Operations Leadership Intern in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Intern - Operations Leadership Intern in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good benefits package for interns. They gave me a rental car and more than enough money for housing. I strongly advise you to take the housing stipend rather than corporate housing. The salary was sufficient as well, even though this shouldn't really be much of a priority for an internship.

- Solid leadership experience. Despite the vast ambiguity of the internship program, you do have a decent amount of responsibilities and power. The interns are expected to lead the hourly associates just as the area managers do.

Cons

- Internship program was very ambiguous. I didn't really have any direct tasks and got terribly bored most days. I would walk around the warehouse just looking for stuff to do so I could stay awake.

- My boss (an area manager) never really gave me much direction. He was a great guy and really fun to talk to, but just seemed really distracted and didn't know or care about what he should do with the intern.

-Long hours. On a typical work day, I got to the FC at 6:45 a.m. and left around 6:15 p.m. And the job involves a lot of walking around, so after almost 12 hours, it does get quite tiring. I lost about 10 pounds over the course of the summer (unintentionally).

- By far, the worst thing about Amazon was the overall dissatisfaction of employees. Everyone from the hourly associates to the senior managers around the FC seemed that they just hated their jobs. No one truly enjoyed coming to work and seemed like they had the whole mentality of a "job's a job". Just working to put food on the table. By the way, the 2-year turnover rate for area managers is almost 90%.

-The managers are treated almost like the hourly associates, but have to work longer hours with no overtime pay. Since I only worked during the summer, I didn't really experience the true "peak" season. My managers told me a plethora of horror stories about how that's when work/life balance goes to die (12 hours a day, 6 days a week). Overall, it feels like a blue-collar job with a white collar salary.

These last two reasons were why I wouldn't take the job if they gave me a full-time offer. It's just not a place I could see myself working at full-time.

Advice to Management

Treat your managers more like managers. It's already unglamorous enough working in a warehouse. Make the job more appealing and stop being so frugal. Having desks made out of old doors is nothing to brag about. The whole "customer comes first" philosophy is great, but to truly be successful and grow, you have to treat your employees even half as well as your customers.

"Good pay for a simple, boring job, but not much of a career"

Former Contractor - Warehouse Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Contractor - Warehouse Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Amazon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Working in an Amazon warehouse is easy. For unskilled labour, the pay is surprisingly good. During your interview they stress the negatives of the job so you can't really complain about it being hard work; you know what you're getting in to when you sign up. But it's not a bad for a temporary position during the weeks leading up to Christmas, though I personally could not imagine this as a long term job.

Management is generally nice and I've even seen managers do basic warehouse work side-by-side with new hires. They're certainly not all hiding in offices out of view. There's not a whole lot of companies of this size where you'll see that! Instructions given to new employees are pretty clear. The whole system is extremely efficient and it's impressive to see it all work. Little rewards are often given to employees for doing a good job, which is nice.

Cons

Most warehouse jobs are extremely boring and repetitive. Be it picking, stowing, packing - you do the same boring task for 10 hours a day, which gets old quickly. I think the extreme dullness of the job combined with the physical nature of it and the unusual schedule makes it a poor long term employer for most people. I would've lost my mind if I worked there for any longer than I did. Since you don't really need any qualifications to be hired, some dodgy characters manage to get jobs, resulting in problems like people's phones and other items being stolen from the locker rooms.

Although it's good that Amazon is very safety oriented, sometimes their instructions and requirements seem almost condescending. For example, they provide instructions on how to use stairs (I thought most people figured that out by age five) and people aren't allowed to use simple equipment such as pallet jacks without being officially trained and certified first. Especially for those who've worked in warehouses before it'll feel like you're being treated as someone who's fresh out of kindergarten.

Production statistics are the primary source of information when it comes to management judging your performance. In some positions however this results in people simply ignoring tasks that are cumbersome and leaving them for others to do, making themselves look better on paper and the people that have to deal with the work they couldn't be bothered to do worse. Not only that, to meet production targets, some people cut serious corners, again leaving others to deal with the mess they've created.

The large number of employees starting shifts at the same time during the peak period can cause traffic problems around the parking lot at certain locations, even requiring the assistance of local police at times to direct traffic. You can show up 15 minutes early for your shift and still be late due to the mess in the parking lot.

Advice to Management

Work on better ways to judge employee performance.