Amazon - Great company to work for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Great company to work for."

Former Employee - Talent Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Talent Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative and collaborative...great workplace. Always cutting edge work and forward thinkers.

Cons

Can wear many hats in this organization; however that is why Amz is growing.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Working at Amazon isn't nearly as good as being a customer of Amazon.com"

Former Intern - Operations Leadership Intern in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Intern - Operations Leadership Intern in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good benefits package for interns. They gave me a rental car and more than enough money for housing. I strongly advise you to take the housing stipend rather than corporate housing. The salary was sufficient as well, even though this shouldn't really be much of a priority for an internship.

- Solid leadership experience. Despite the vast ambiguity of the internship program, you do have a decent amount of responsibilities and power. The interns are expected to lead the hourly associates just as the area managers do.

Cons

- Internship program was very ambiguous. I didn't really have any direct tasks and got terribly bored most days. I would walk around the warehouse just looking for stuff to do so I could stay awake.

- My boss (an area manager) never really gave me much direction. He was a great guy and really fun to talk to, but just seemed really distracted and didn't know or care about what he should do with the intern.

-Long hours. On a typical work day, I got to the FC at 6:45 a.m. and left around 6:15 p.m. And the job involves a lot of walking around, so after almost 12 hours, it does get quite tiring. I lost about 10 pounds over the course of the summer (unintentionally).

- By far, the worst thing about Amazon was the overall dissatisfaction of employees. Everyone from the hourly associates to the senior managers around the FC seemed that they just hated their jobs. No one truly enjoyed coming to work and seemed like they had the whole mentality of a "job's a job". Just working to put food on the table. By the way, the 2-year turnover rate for area managers is almost 90%.

-The managers are treated almost like the hourly associates, but have to work longer hours with no overtime pay. Since I only worked during the summer, I didn't really experience the true "peak" season. My managers told me a plethora of horror stories about how that's when work/life balance goes to die (12 hours a day, 6 days a week). Overall, it feels like a blue-collar job with a white collar salary.

These last two reasons were why I wouldn't take the job if they gave me a full-time offer. It's just not a place I could see myself working at full-time.

Advice to Management

Treat your managers more like managers. It's already unglamorous enough working in a warehouse. Make the job more appealing and stop being so frugal. Having desks made out of old doors is nothing to brag about. The whole "customer comes first" philosophy is great, but to truly be successful and grow, you have to treat your employees even half as well as your customers.

"Analyst Intern"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great learning experience

Cons

Long hours, multiple assignments at the same time

Advice to Management

N/A