Amazon - Great Company, but, you need to fit into their culture | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Great Company, but, you need to fit into their culture"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing outlook with CEO as a Visionaire
- You could be proud of your contribution to the company as Amazon is now the world class
- Fast pacing, result oriented, open to communication and startup-alike setups
- Depending on where you come from, you can learn a lot from Amazon's unique value and culture, especially if you are starting your career here. Otherwise, you may have some culture shock, but still gain a lot from.
- If you can survive, you will be tough enough to survive anywhere else.
- Overall, Amazon is the great company to train yourself both technically and mentally; and to be "part" of your resume.

Cons

- You may find the communication a little harsh as they can easily be critical and negative. So, basically, you need to be mentally strong to survive. Amazon hires a lot, but, many leaves only after just a year of serving or even less.
- I heard that if you are in upper management role, you feel very valued by the company, but, if you are on the other end, you would feel like being a someone who can easily be replaced. Amazon hires a lot and let go a lot. If you aren't let go, then, will experience the flood of workload to keep your job in tact.
- Benefits are in low end compared to even much smaller companies.
- If you are SDET unless you are lucky enough there aren't much career outlook as Amazon doesn't have QA practice in many departments.

Advice to Management

Amazon is not anymore of smaller company. You need to start value the employee more, so that the top notch engineers stay longer

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

1. "Good seasonal job"

Current Employee - Outbound Picker in Fernley, NV
    Current Employee - Outbound Picker in Fernley, NV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the higher paying picking jobs in The Reno Area. Overtime around christmas

Cons

No cons really fair pay for what the work is.

"Amazon Puts Employees Last"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros are what others have already said. Working for this world class brand that is changing the face of retail is exciting (in theory). There is a lot going on in Seattle and to some extent in satellite offices like New York. The environment can be exciting in the sense that we're creating game changing products and services.

You will also learn more here in a very short amount of time than most anywhere else due to the emphasis on testing, analyzing and improving your work. I am basically going to squeeze out as much learning as possible and then parlay this into a better job shortly. I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of employees feel the same way.

Cons

Employees simply do no come first in this organization. Employees are way down on the priority list. Thus, there is little attention paid to building a healthy culture, feeling like a 'team', recognizing great work through bonuses and raises, etc. There are absolutely no perks to speak of either which I can appreciate due to the money losing business moves we deliberately make to poise Amazon for world domination in the future. However, the lack of resources and basic things to do your job are painful and just plain bad business. Lack of HR support, tech support, etc. is utterly painful and results in a waste of employee time trying to do basic things. This is especially pronounced in non HQ offices which are sadly under resourced in every way.

Internal systems are some of the most hacked together, pathetic systems I have seen in my life. And I have worked for traditional blue chip companies that do not know their ass from their elbows, for lack of a better phrase! Amazon is on the cutting edge in every customer facing thing it does but when it comes to internal systems, everything is arcane, painful to use, poorly built and just plain pathetic.

Amazon hires smart people but not well rounded people. I find the culture to be impacted negatively by the weird, humorless, dry, and oddly aggressive people that flourish here. Communications are shockingly terse and rude. Things just need to get done, you can spare any pleasantries if you know what is good for you. I guess that's the Amazon way? Very few people will want to tolerate this long term, as evidenced by heavy and frequent turn over.

Finally, leadership at Amazon is probably doing a great job in their bubbles inventing crazy things, but they are severely lacking when it comes to communicating, inspiring and exciting employees. In my time here, I have not once heard from Bezos or for that matter anyone who works for him, in a meaningful way. The CEO is simply non-existent to me. Due to this, I do not feel connected to the company and its mission aside from my direct work.

Advice to Management

Pay a lot more attention to employee happiness. You hire smart, capable people who leave on average within two years. That is a problem given the dearth of capable people on this planet. Do more for your employees, build a great culture and cut us some slack on this frugality thing so that we can at least have the appropriate tools to do our jobs! Your frugal (or rather downright cheap) mindset will be your undoing when you have no extraordinary people left to do your bidding.

Install better managers at every level. The people managing teams in this office and from what I hear in Seattle, are often average, mediocre people managers with little to offer their teams. I'm sure they are bright individual contributors, but that does not a manager make. That's a problem.

Work harder to make non Seattle offices feel integrated into Amazon's overall culture and ecosystem. If you can't handle that, don't open satellite offices.