Amazon - Analyst Intern | Glassdoor

"Analyst Intern"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great learning experience

Cons

Long hours, multiple assignments at the same time

Advice to Management

N/A

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Good pay for a simple, boring job, but not much of a career"

Former Contractor - Warehouse Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Contractor - Warehouse Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Amazon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Working in an Amazon warehouse is easy. For unskilled labour, the pay is surprisingly good. During your interview they stress the negatives of the job so you can't really complain about it being hard work; you know what you're getting in to when you sign up. But it's not a bad for a temporary position during the weeks leading up to Christmas, though I personally could not imagine this as a long term job.

Management is generally nice and I've even seen managers do basic warehouse work side-by-side with new hires. They're certainly not all hiding in offices out of view. There's not a whole lot of companies of this size where you'll see that! Instructions given to new employees are pretty clear. The whole system is extremely efficient and it's impressive to see it all work. Little rewards are often given to employees for doing a good job, which is nice.

Cons

Most warehouse jobs are extremely boring and repetitive. Be it picking, stowing, packing - you do the same boring task for 10 hours a day, which gets old quickly. I think the extreme dullness of the job combined with the physical nature of it and the unusual schedule makes it a poor long term employer for most people. I would've lost my mind if I worked there for any longer than I did. Since you don't really need any qualifications to be hired, some dodgy characters manage to get jobs, resulting in problems like people's phones and other items being stolen from the locker rooms.

Although it's good that Amazon is very safety oriented, sometimes their instructions and requirements seem almost condescending. For example, they provide instructions on how to use stairs (I thought most people figured that out by age five) and people aren't allowed to use simple equipment such as pallet jacks without being officially trained and certified first. Especially for those who've worked in warehouses before it'll feel like you're being treated as someone who's fresh out of kindergarten.

Production statistics are the primary source of information when it comes to management judging your performance. In some positions however this results in people simply ignoring tasks that are cumbersome and leaving them for others to do, making themselves look better on paper and the people that have to deal with the work they couldn't be bothered to do worse. Not only that, to meet production targets, some people cut serious corners, again leaving others to deal with the mess they've created.

The large number of employees starting shifts at the same time during the peak period can cause traffic problems around the parking lot at certain locations, even requiring the assistance of local police at times to direct traffic. You can show up 15 minutes early for your shift and still be late due to the mess in the parking lot.

Advice to Management

Work on better ways to judge employee performance.

"Fast-paced, challenging, and rewarding."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ownership, pace of learning, supportive yet tough environment. Long term career opportunities and movement within the company--once you've put your time in.

Cons

Expect to consistently work outside of "regular" hours with the ironic expectation to not go overtime (if hourly), but to stay extremely busy as well. Work/life balance depends on your manager, this is a results-driven company where your performance is almost solely evaluated on analytics.

Advice to Management

Find new ways to motivate employees that includes some appreciation and positive reward.