Amazon - Exciting, but exhausting | Glassdoor

"Exciting, but exhausting"

Current Employee - Designer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn and grow. Extremely smart people around every corner. I have learned more in the past 1.5 years, than I have in 9 years elsewhere.

Cons

Very competitive environment. There is not a lot of collaboration. A lot of teams are doing the same work, but very few ever know because there is not a lot of communication across teams / verticals.

Advice to Management

Share, nurture and grow a more collaborative environment.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Amazon Puts Employees Last"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros are what others have already said. Working for this world class brand that is changing the face of retail is exciting (in theory). There is a lot going on in Seattle and to some extent in satellite offices like New York. The environment can be exciting in the sense that we're creating game changing products and services.

You will also learn more here in a very short amount of time than most anywhere else due to the emphasis on testing, analyzing and improving your work. I am basically going to squeeze out as much learning as possible and then parlay this into a better job shortly. I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of employees feel the same way.

Cons

Employees simply do no come first in this organization. Employees are way down on the priority list. Thus, there is little attention paid to building a healthy culture, feeling like a 'team', recognizing great work through bonuses and raises, etc. There are absolutely no perks to speak of either which I can appreciate due to the money losing business moves we deliberately make to poise Amazon for world domination in the future. However, the lack of resources and basic things to do your job are painful and just plain bad business. Lack of HR support, tech support, etc. is utterly painful and results in a waste of employee time trying to do basic things. This is especially pronounced in non HQ offices which are sadly under resourced in every way.

Internal systems are some of the most hacked together, pathetic systems I have seen in my life. And I have worked for traditional blue chip companies that do not know their ass from their elbows, for lack of a better phrase! Amazon is on the cutting edge in every customer facing thing it does but when it comes to internal systems, everything is arcane, painful to use, poorly built and just plain pathetic.

Amazon hires smart people but not well rounded people. I find the culture to be impacted negatively by the weird, humorless, dry, and oddly aggressive people that flourish here. Communications are shockingly terse and rude. Things just need to get done, you can spare any pleasantries if you know what is good for you. I guess that's the Amazon way? Very few people will want to tolerate this long term, as evidenced by heavy and frequent turn over.

Finally, leadership at Amazon is probably doing a great job in their bubbles inventing crazy things, but they are severely lacking when it comes to communicating, inspiring and exciting employees. In my time here, I have not once heard from Bezos or for that matter anyone who works for him, in a meaningful way. The CEO is simply non-existent to me. Due to this, I do not feel connected to the company and its mission aside from my direct work.

Advice to Management

Pay a lot more attention to employee happiness. You hire smart, capable people who leave on average within two years. That is a problem given the dearth of capable people on this planet. Do more for your employees, build a great culture and cut us some slack on this frugality thing so that we can at least have the appropriate tools to do our jobs! Your frugal (or rather downright cheap) mindset will be your undoing when you have no extraordinary people left to do your bidding.

Install better managers at every level. The people managing teams in this office and from what I hear in Seattle, are often average, mediocre people managers with little to offer their teams. I'm sure they are bright individual contributors, but that does not a manager make. That's a problem.

Work harder to make non Seattle offices feel integrated into Amazon's overall culture and ecosystem. If you can't handle that, don't open satellite offices.

"Amazon is a great company with a unique culture that I'm glad I have been able to experience."

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in New Castle, DE
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in New Castle, DE

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay & Good benefits
    Respectful treatment and appreciation of employees that is unique compared to other companies in their industry (and really other companies in general)

Cons

At Fulfillment Centers the warehouse work is very physically difficult
    Amazon has high standards for work (rate) that not everyone can meet, even when they are trying

Advice to Management

Overall I am very satisfied with the Amazon management, I would suggest that they continue to show lots of appreciation for their employees and continue asking how they can do better.