Amazon - Success dependent on one's direct manager | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Success dependent on one's direct manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work with smart, driven colleagues
- Laid back dress code
- Company name

Cons

- Spotty management - Due to rapid growth many have been promoted to management without management experience
- Lack of internal training on processes, policies, culture
- Very political. One's success is not about performance - it's playing the game

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to address the dysfunctional culture that exists within the data center groups (commonly referred to as the trailer trash of Amazon). Many unprofessional behaviors exist that violate the company Leadership Principles and Code of Conduct. Sooner or later the bottom line is going to be impacted.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Horrible Place"

Current Employee - Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health insurance is pretty good and the pay is decent but not really if you compare it to other places

Cons

Low pay the management is horrible they never know what hand is doing what they make the rules up as they go. They cant stand the thought of you talking about a union they work you like a dog and no fun so I am not sure were there motto plays a role cause I have yet to have fun there. I along feel like a slave or prisoner being watched all the time having to go through two sets of security is crazy. They treat employees like crap they think of them as a number not a human. So if you don't make the number then they don't want you. I just wish that the customers would see how they treat their people and they wouldn't support them either. Just another reason why corporate America stinks because these big companies want to kill there employees. The 5 min breaks are nice as well but keep in mind they are suppose to be 15 min and lunch 30 but you know its company policy to cut that short don't matter what the federal law says when your amazon. Oh yeah and they don't that if it comes a snow storm they want you risk your life to come to work and no matter what unless that is you are on dayshift then you can close for the day and not count against you. Kind of strange how that works. So if you want to work your life away with no time with family this is great place but I don't I love my family and they are more important to me then Amazon and if you want to move up then you better know somebody or be ready to bend over and take cause that your only way to the top. I cant wait to be out of there and find a career that has values and morals that I stand for and to work at a place where you matter your not a number or a dollar sign.

Advice to Management

Quit worrying about flying a drone or whatever and focus on the people that make your company which is the people that come in everyday and give up their life and try to keep their heads above water while you all drive around in your 100,000 dollar vehicles and live in your million dollar homes and don't care about the people. Its time you either stand behind your motto or step out of the way a let a real company that cares about its people take over somebody like Costco, Sams club,Overstock.com a these are all true companies. To Jeff bezzo quit trying to get to space and invest that money into your workers families and support them.

"Software Development Engineer II"

Pros

Lots of smart people to work with. Interesting and hard problems to solve. Lots of opportunities to simplify and innovate.

Cons

Difficult work life balance. Stressful environment. Strong headed senior engineers who are difficult to work with. Cheap work equipments. Frupid (being frugal but in reality, being stupid) policies.

Advice to Management

Take some steps to show that you care about the engineers.