Amazon - Wonderful | Glassdoor

"Wonderful"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Hyderabad (India)
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Hyderabad (India)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to do Exciting work here.

Cons

Have to deal with very busy hours.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Hard work, but a great learning experience."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Cape Town (South Africa)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Cape Town (South Africa)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great opportunity to work with talented, friendly folks tackling some very big problems of scale. Not many jobs present you with so many opportunities to invent and fix things. Working with a mature toolset in a stimulating environment presents a great platform from which to learn and grow.

Cons

It's all too easy to slip into overwork. With all of the challenges around you, if you really take ownership, you may find yourself with an endless list of things to get through in a day. It can be hard to stay focused, and the operational burden of some teams can be huge. Being on-call is no joke.

Advice to Management

Promotions come slowly, and if you get leveled incorrectly when you start, it can be a long road. Finding and encouraging your best talent could reduce churn and help retain valuable staff.

"AVOID WHERE POSSIBLE - ITS A DETENTION CAMP!"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I could quit and had no ties to the company after 4yrs

*** PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE avoid this place. The shares aren't worth is, the career progression is non-existent, the relocation packages and sign on bonuses are TRAPS***

Cons

- Senior Management are absolute idiots, it's all about image and how good they look and not about mentoring and coaching their teams to be better
    - It's all about who your drinking buddies are and whether you rub shoulders with VPs (promotions for women are next to impossible unless you do "favors")
    - Horrible office environment, they recruit only MBAs which set absolutely unnecessary competitive environment that is not constructive
    - Bullying is rampant at all levels, threats are constant, HR never respond to escalations and make your life even worse with legal threats
    - Work life balance is non-existent. I was advised to find a better role if I want a life outside of my job.
    - People have passed out on the floor from pure exhaustion ( i am not exaggerating). Go to Clausen at 8pm and you will see the offices still full of people. Its Ridiculous!!!
    - Pay is awful

Advice to Management

I've tried to do this in terms that Amazonian "Leaders" will understand:

- "Think Big" - treat your employees better so that you don't have such high turnover. Focus on People Development rather than People Acquisition...
    - "Bias for Action" - take action when you see people being bullied and do not ignore it
    - "Dive Deep" - HR should investigate escalated issues and get to the bottom of the problem with "real" investigation
    - "Frugality" - Sending Senior Management to meetings across the world when they aren't the subject mater experts in areas is nonsense. Send the people that know their stuff
    - "Hire and develop the best" - stop compensating managers that do nothing and know nothing. Start looking at teams that have a high turnover of staff
    - "Insist on highest standards" - do not accept bullying
    - "Vocally self critical" - know when things have gone wrong and remedy them; instead of trying to pursue people with empty legal threats
    - "Earn the trust of others" - Be more transparent
    - "Deliver Results" - actually deliver some work instead of talking about the Jeff Letter CONSTANTLY
    - "Customer Obsession" - Treat your employees like your customers and all would be resolved!
    - "Invent and Simplify" - make better leadership principles because it appears that none of the senior management actually know what it means to be a "Leader" versus a "Junior Manager"