Amazon - Excellent Working Environment | Glassdoor

"Excellent Working Environment"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The compensation is great. The work-life balance varies, though generally is good. They take personal growth seriously: Constructive feedback given often to ensure you have a chance to reach your potential. Under the right circumstances they'll also let you work from home, which is awesome.

They take the the Amazon Leadership Principles very seriously, and it's a good list. Google for it; they won't let me add a link here.

Cons

The times when management has decided on a deadline can mean overtime. This hasn't happened a lot to me yet, but it's happened once in 8 months at least.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Challenging culture. Decent job."

Current Employee - Vendor Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Vendor Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great brand recognition and a good resume builder. Decent level of autonomy and a high level of responsibility. They hire smart people. New businesses are always under development.

Cons

There is very little training and development of employees. Coworkers tend to be individual achievers, focused on their own career growth / survival. People frequently withhold information and help to maintain a competitive advantage.
    Reviews are a roll of the dice. You better support senior management's project dejour or your days are numbered.

Advice to Management

If nobody is ever quite good enough, the failure might be yours.

"Good compensation, questionable management"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am being very well paid in the industry, I do work enough to earn it, but

Cons

Getting a promotion in this company is very hard, and you have to be a lot about politics, which I'm not. When I say something, its the truth, that you like or not, and that does not fly well over here. Management looks everywhere to please the upper management, and projects don't get finished or get delayed a lot because other projects arrive and they need to get done faster in order to please upper management. Nobody has the guts to say that doing so will hurt the current long term projects. The long term vision is lacking to say the least. Money in a short term is very important to the point that it rarely matters to invest now to harvest in 2 years.

Advice to Management

Think on a longer term basis instead of thinking of this year only.