Amazon - Was fine | Glassdoor

"Was fine"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time

Pros

Was a good company to get things done. Business grew fast, and everyone contributed to that.

Cons

Lots of work, no work life balance, compensation structure is bad. People made money only because of stock growth, and when stock grew, you got lesser stocks.

Advice to Management

Start respecting your employees more.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"It's difficult to stay with the company, no matter how hard you work."

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits. If you hire on with Amazon directly you receive benefits from almost day one.

Cons

At the Richmond Fulfillment Center my experience was that little regard was given to training by a majority of management. Work policies were constantly being changed from week to week. For most jobs management seemed to have the idea that a trained monkey could do it so they don't need you. I've seen extremely knowledgable 5 years + employees fired for minor infractions on the spot. It's hard to stay even if you really want to. There is no job security. Just consider it temporary employment and you should be fine.

Advice to Management

Amazon could be a great company to work for, BUT attention really needs to be paid to your infrastructure. Amazon has expanded its business and branched out in so many ways, but it is hollow with no interior support structure. You cannot regard every employee as disposable. There is no inexhaustible supply of low wage workers to staff your fulfillment centers which are your business. If you have to close an entire facility because you've run out of people who are willing or able to work for you (your Arizona facility) then something is very wrong. Either Amazon takes a real hard look at some of its core policies or there won't be an Amazon in 10 years. I was really excited to sign on, I really wanted to make it work, but I can't. It's a shame. I've always loved buying from Amazon, so even though my experience hasn't been great I'm still going to miss it when it crumbles.

"One of the worst jobs I've ever had"

Former Employee - Picker in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Picker in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money is decent and the hours are okay. You might also get in shape.

Cons

You will hurt yourself, even doing things the right way and the management will try and make it all your fault. I even got a verbal warning for time off task when I threw out my knee trying to satisfy my jerk of a boss and I was on light duty. The quotas that they expect you to meet are COMPLETELY unrealistic and if you try and discuss it with management, they just say "Well, such-and-such makes quota". Yeah, well not everyone is cut from the same cloth. Some people can work super hard and only pick 985 items a day instead of 1000. Punishing them for it is discrimination. If you...pardon me, WHEN you don't make quota, they will treat you like, even tell you, you're not trying. I busted my butt for this place and got treated like a lazy teenager who was just looking for an easy buck. I saw LOTS of hard working people get fired by management who didn't even know their names, much less how hard they worked. What's worse, management will tell you "Hey, were here to help. We're here for you. If you have questions or concerns, bring them to us." Then, when you do, they talk to you like you're dirt, make up excuses, lie, roll their eyes... These are bad people who have learned to sound friendly. The company destroys peoples' bodies, psyches, emotional health and self esteem and then acts like their pathetic for not being able to take it. Of course, management can screw up, be lazy, fail, whatever and it's perfectly okay. There are policies of zero tolerance AND zero accountability. AVOID THIS COMPANY AND DON'T BUY FROM THEM. AMAZON IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICA.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Be realistic. Stop lying to, abusing and dismissing your employees. Get out on the floor and try doing your subordinates' jobs for a day more often. And when employees who REALLY DO WORK EXTRA HARD come to you with concerns try not to be a jerk.