Amazon - Stretch, learn, work, work and work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon

"Stretch, learn, work, work and work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities abound. Innovative new work being done all day every day. Rapid growth company. Environment that encourages creativity. Autonomy is granted if you know your stuff. Dogs allowed in the office. Casual dress environment. Learned more about business and process efficiency in 4 years at Amazon than I did in 10 years in my prior jobs.

Cons

Chronically understaffed. No work life balance and HR Is not seeking to implement it. Churn and burn environment. Arrogant attitude of SVPs with little or no value of employee and employee contributions - i.e. "you're lucky to work here" . Compensation structure is heavily equity based, such that at best salaries are at mid of market requiring sales of shares to meet competitive market salary--leadership principle of "ownership" is a farce. Stock compensation is heavily taxed resulting in a lower overall total compensation package. Benefits are beyond skimpy. Tools, and systems for non-customer facing infrastructure work are fragile and require much manual work to prevent failures.

Advice to Management

Values and leadership principles are good. Improve benefits, change compensation structure to more appropriately compensate top talent that work hard to contribute to the company's success.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Software Engineer life sucks"

I worked at Amazon full-time

Pros

You get to learn a lot and get very good experience

Cons

On calls are horrible. You can get paged anytime 24hrs/day for 7 days. Screws up your health

Advice to Management

Consider that employees have a life outside work too

"Amazon: A great place to work very hard!"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company does all the right things for employees. Mediocre salary, but the equity shares make it worth while. Can't say enough about all the perks, such as Zip car, dogs at work, fun culture.

Cons

Amazon owns you 24/7/365. That is the way it is, and I found little apology for it. The interviews are brutal, but you are glad that they take time to build a company of owners who care enough to drive the right projects.

Advice to Management

Amazon's philosophy is, and has always been: Your career path is your problem. I'd have liked a manager who might have took time to help more with the big picture to help me plan my advancement better.