Amazon - Harsh culture | Glassdoor

"Harsh culture"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a ton, and understand that each department is different depending upon your manager, but my experience was unpleasant. Signing bonuses and stock plans can be generous depending upon timing and level.

Cons

Bad management is not sanctioned at all. Overt sexism by my manager. A high tech software company that has people doing work via hand entered formulas on excel spreadsheets. No work life balance.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon

"Long hard climb."

Current Employee - Amazon Warehouse Worker in Chester, VA
    Current Employee - Amazon Warehouse Worker in Chester, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are fast paced, willing to sweat..a lot, and can make it through 'boot camp' (the first 4-6 weeks) you can pretty much work for them for as long as you like. you just have to keep up a fast pace..no slowing down. If you shine often and work harrrdddd you will get noticed.

Cons

At Tier I you will have very little access to your manager, training beyond the initial orientation, and resources unless you are willing to go in on your own time and explore because if you are dormant for more than 5 minutes you are in trouble. However if you do take the time to do that, the resources are fairly wide open on the intranet, but you are NEVER told at Tier I how to access them, and if you bring what you have learned up, you will get looks like "how do YOU know that, or the Tier IV managers will get pissed you know something they don't. PS they did away with Tier II, so if you do get to be more than a drone with added responsibilities, you will not get paid for it unless you magically jump to tier III.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of confusion at Tier I. Many times the different managers have totally different ways of doing things and this is a symptom of a greater problem. There is no clear advancement path from Tier I to the higher tiers unless a manager just happens to take favor with you. I assume that this is what tier II used to be for. Clear and concise directions, expectations, and training are missing at Tier I if you want to advance. I recommend that they restore Tier II and use it for those associates that shine at Tier one when they have a secondary task added. Have written descriptions of the secondary jobs and hoe those job interlink for particular paths of advancement. Also, when additional tasks are added a small increase in pay should be given. Because much of the normal advancement steps are missing, you must jump up the corporate ladder, and you'll only make it if you have someone who favors you personally because there is no tracking of training and evaluation in those step positions. If you talk to a Fulfillment Center Tier V or VI, ask them how many of their tier IV managers came from lower Tiers. Most will say none.

"Pays lip service to putting employees first, doesn't deliver."

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Huntington, WV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Huntington, WV

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work that was different all the time. Lots of interaction between different departments. Good benefits as far as Health Insurance was concerned.

Cons

Poor base compensation for position, relies too much on stock grants to make up pay. No work-life balance at all and if you are religious, you're frowned up (at least at the location I was at) if you as to have Sunday mornings free. Being moved out of areas of responsibility once you get really good at them and can add value.

While they stress people are important, if you try to work with people if they have issues, your reprimanded about trying to help them. It seems like they would rather just get rid of them and hire someone else. No respect for experience and knowledge learned from other companies.

Advice to Management

Customer Service starts with taking care of the internal customers that are not in Seattle also.