Amazon - Great for a young go-getter, terrible for an experienced leader with any type of expectations. | Glassdoor

"Great for a young go-getter, terrible for an experienced leader with any type of expectations."

PRA in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Amazon

Pros

The benefits were nice. 4 day workweek was great. Uh....there was free coffee in the breakroom? Excellent advancement opportunities for young people with a college degree.

Cons

Where do I start? The pay vs job responsibility was so unbalanced it often induced rage among my peers. At any job, you're given goals and expectations - but at Amazon you're expected to succeed with zero resources. Seriously, you can try to justify overtime all you want - you aren't getting any help. Unprofessional, callous managers that don't care about employee development...I could go on. As someone with... leadership experience in a warehouse setting, I'm comfortable saying that the building I worked at was a prime example of how not to run an operation.

Advice to Management

Look before you leap. Many of my issues stem from an obvious lack of planning during the setup phase. Hire experienced leaders - a college degree means nothing if a candidate is a true greenhorn. Do things to help employee morale that don't involve throwing the phrase "customer obsession" around in a cavalier manner.

Amazon2015-09-23
  1. "Best place I have worked in my 25 plus years of employment!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very collaborative work environment in which there is the best sense of belonging to a team. Challenging work with a supportive infrastructure to excel and grow within the company. Managers have your back as well as colleagues. A satisfying, fulfilling role in assisting third party sellers grow their business.

Cons

Vacation accrues with hours worked, no automatic vacation days granted on the first day.

Advice to Management

Establishing more work from home or four day work weeks would be favorable to most employees, as well as implementing unlimited vacation time will attract more of the best and brightest candidates to Amazon.

Amazon2019-11-20
  2. Helpful (2015)

"You Get What You Put In"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Really smart people, a lot of opportunity for growth, always encouraged to be innovative, think big, and create something new. Competitive salary and benefits with other major tech companies. 100% self motivating work environment. No dress code and 4 legged friends are welcome.

Cons

You have to be self motivated. NO ONE will hold your hand and tell you that you're doing a great job. If you need constant affirmations from management, this company isn't for you.

Advice to Management

More on-boarding training before new employees are thrown in the fire. The first couple of weeks can be very confusing on where to find the information you need that pertains to your job.

Amazon2016-01-11

Discover more reviews about Amazon.