AmeriCorps - Wonderful learning experience and a great stepping stone. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps

"Wonderful learning experience and a great stepping stone."

Former Employee - New Jersey Watershed Ambassador Program
Former Employee - New Jersey Watershed Ambassador Program

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great way to gain experience after college or high school. Helps pay student loan debt or for continuing education. Lots of opportunities all over the country. Very diverse opportunities.

Cons

People can have very different experiences based on their specific program. Pay is very little as AmeriCorps is considered a volunteer position. My program did not adjust pay for cost of living. People in southern New Jersey earned the same salary as me while I lived and worked in northern New Jersey where rent was three times more expensive.

Other Employee Reviews for AmeriCorps

"Invaluable Experience"

Pros

Gave me the opportunity to gain experience in my field as soon as I got out of college.
    Taught me how to live on a tight budget.
    Great support system and benefits along the way.

Cons

If you don't have any $ saved up, it can be very stressful and difficult to make it through the year.

2. "Environmental Education - Nature Preserve"

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great professional development in environmental education field. AmeriCorp and site leaders created fun, supportive, nurturing environment. Good "Gap Year" exploritory job and very personally satisfying and rewarding. Great working with kids and in the field. Fun Job

Cons

Best at the beginning of a career - jobs are often entry level in scope. Experience pertained to a small field of environmental education. Learned fewer technical skills to bring to other fields environmental science fields (but definitely good experience for outdoor education and classroom education as well) but that is the decision of the applicant.