AmeriCorps - Amazing to give back and it was a life-changing experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps

"Amazing to give back and it was a life-changing experience"

Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in New Haven, CT
Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in New Haven, CT

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Give back to communities that need it, while having loans deferred after college and also getting a bit extra to start paying them back. You can work anywhere in the country doing almost anything you want, in communities that need it most. Health insurance provided is a big bonus, too.

Cons

The pay is low (less than 20,000) and so you will probably need to find a site that either helps out with food or lodging or both.

Advice to Management

Do more to support your members, with outreach from the top-down (not just through immediate supervisors).

Other Employee Reviews for AmeriCorps

"AmeriCorps provides personal and professional growth"

Former Employee - Program Development in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Program Development in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AmeriCorps exposed me to a new environment and culture I knew little about and after having been unemployed for over two years and struggling in my previous career, I now have new skills and learned how to network which will aid in my new career path.

Cons

Volunteers need to be eligible for unemployment when their service ends. Needs better support at the local and state level with other AmeriCorps members, have monthly or bi-monthly get-togethers. Lack of quality health care; covers very little and is very difficult to understand what is and isn't covered. Being as this is a federal program members should be entitled to federal health insurance.

Advice to Management

Being as management is primarily hindered by the US government, at the federal level there MUST be more monetary interest in supporting this program. This program provides US citizens with jobs!

2. "AmeriCorps Intern Job Review"

Pros

Good money, work outside frequently

Cons

Tiring, can be boring and tedious