AmeriCorps - This was a great experience for me coming straight out of undergrad. I gained a lot of invaluable work skills. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps

"This was a great experience for me coming straight out of undergrad. I gained a lot of invaluable work skills."

Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator
Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a volunteer coordinator I was able to create my own projects in the schools I worked with. I planned family nights, tutored and created different outings and events for the students. There were lots of opportunities for me to network with other AmeriCorps members and AmeriCorps alum. I had a lot of flexibility in my hours

Cons

The program I worked under had a lot of turnover in upper management, at times they were disorganized and at worst ineffective. There didn't seem to be a lot of room for career growth where I worked.

Advice to Management

Provide AmeriCorps members with professional development opportunities.

Other Employee Reviews for AmeriCorps

1. "Working for AmeriCorps/ Washington Conservation Corps."

Former Contractor - AmeriCorps Member
    Former Contractor - AmeriCorps Member

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Outdoors, 4 days a week, paid training for earning your red card (fire fighting card).
    Learning new plants, the edible kind and none edible kind. Trains you for disaster relief, gives you a great opportunity to network and meet new people from various cities. Sent to different states for disaster response during natural disasters. Paid HAZMAT training. Paid CPR and Wilderness ER training. That can eventually help you become a paramedic if so desired.

Cons

Very physically challenging, very tired after work so it feels like all you have are Fri.-Sun. to catch up on your house hold chores, and shopping. Working through all four seasons outdoors, working in snow, carrying sometimes up to 60lbs of mulch and various other things. Only minimum wage, no raises( unless you are a supervisor). Sometimes the location of the work site is very challenging as well.

2. "It was great and life changing."

Pros

Travel, Diverse, Meet new people, Variety in Work

Cons

Doesn't pay well, most be flexible with work schedule and locations, can be moved suddenly, don't know what team will be like