AmeriCorps - My Time as an AmeriCorps Member | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps

"My Time as an AmeriCorps Member"

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member
Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Serving your community
- Doing necessary but hard work
- Working with others who also wanted to make the community a better place
- Education award

Cons

- The stipend is extremely small, so if you're working in a metro city like NYC, it may be difficult to find affordable housing

Advice to Management

My time at AmeriCorps was really fulfilling, but if someone is solely doing the work for the education award, then you might not take as much from the experience because it is lots of work with little pay. I would suggest to management to increase the stipend for individuals living in cities with a higher cost of living.

Other Employee Reviews for AmeriCorps

1. "Youth Coordinator"

Pros

Loved the team and interaction

Cons

Wish it was longer internship

"A disappointing experience as an AmeriCorps VISTA."

Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience and resume building. Chance to travel within the U.S. territories. You're able to make a difference in your community.

The relocation money is great! Not a lot, but helpful in the long run. They also help pay for your move back home after your time of service.

It's only a year commitment, which is shorter than the Peace Corps and better for those who aren't ready to take on a 2 year commitment. You can also bring pets (if it's okay with your roommate and it's in your own apartment, house, etc. ) unlike the Peace Corps

My experience was very stressful, but I would do it again. ONLY as a summer or part-time volunteer so I could get an extra job while serving.

Cons

I don't want to bash AmeriCorps completely. I was just very disappointed by my experience as a VISTA. It's difficult to make an impact in your community when you're constantly stressed and living from paycheck to paycheck.

There's a lack of communication and organization within AmeriCorps itself. examples: late monthly payments. Serving during the government shut down meant not knowing if you'd be able to pay your rent in time, but still expected to work until the shutdown ended. Also, somebody broke into the system and stole a few bank numbers. So you know, that happened...

It's health COVERAGE, not insurance, and it isn't up to government standards which many AmeriCorps workers didn't know until well after March 31st and now are being fined for being uninsured. There's very little the health coverage actually covers. Pregnancy bills, doctors visits, and medications are a few that aren't covered. It's more like a joke.

The low pay makes it impossible to live by yourself, but that's expected living under the poverty line. So you really do NEED a roommate. They really should emphasis that more.

I joined AmeriCorps hoping I could grow, make change, and perhaps get a $5550 education stipend. Left feeling stressed, like I had wasted a year, and $1000 in debt.