AmeriCorps - Great Experience! | Glassdoor

"Great Experience!"

Current Employee - Americorps VISTA Community Development Coordinator in Hazard, KY

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free training, professional development, leadership experience, etc. Really awesome volunteer job with the potential to help many people. Learn about poverty through experience. You get money towards student loans/school.

Cons

These are more consideration than cons. The pay is low, but that's not why a person takes this position. You are not allowed to run for office. You need to be a self-starter for this job and really look for opportunities on your own.

Advice to Management

Paying people at poverty level is great for teaching them about poverty in theory. What really happens is that your team members face extra stress that lowers performance. Living in poverty creates a similar amount of stress on the body as pulling an all-nighter. I've lived in poverty all my life, so I'm used to going without things and juggling a tight budget and those are things everyone should learn. Paying people at poverty level does not begin to address the cause behind poverty, because it's not just a money issue.

Other Employee Reviews for AmeriCorps

1. "Good experience as a post-college first job"

Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity out of college for those interested in nonprofit organizations, and/or moving to a different area. Job satisfaction is completely dependent on the organization, so make sure you do your homework before applying and accepting a position. Great way to serve a community, get $$ toward student loans, and meet others with similar interests.

Cons

Overall structure is complicated, and the staff, grant requirements and organization are constantly changing. Makes for a lot of red tape. Good pay cannot be your goal when looking to serve with Americorps. Yearly salary is equal to the poverty line in your community- ranging from 10K-15K usually. Good way to learn to live on a budget!

Advice to Management

I'd like to have seen State/Regional Directors at least once or twice during my service.

2. "A must do in a lifetime, there is nothing better than lending a helping hand."

Former Contractor - Volunteer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Volunteer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Strong relationships, networking, and a lifetime of honor.

Cons

None whatsoever, volunteering comes from the heart.

Advice to Management

Continue loving what you do.