AmeriCorps - not willing to be flexiable | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AmeriCorps

"not willing to be flexiable"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great organization that did great work for the community that the organiztion was in.
Like being able to volunteer.

Cons

Americorp management was not willing to really listen to concerns and would not be flexiable just kept shoving policy in my face. Would not take into account my life situation when considering education award. Did not feel like my true talents were ever utilized or even really discovered. I was unable to even begin to reach my full potential.

Other Employee Reviews for AmeriCorps

1. "AmeriCorps VISTA"

Pros

Loved traveling around Montana to all the different workshops, meeting people, and the community outreach.

Cons

Low pay. But that wasn't even all that bad.

"Great Experience!"

Current Employee - Americorps VISTA Community Development Coordinator in Hazard, KY

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free training, professional development, leadership experience, etc. Really awesome volunteer job with the potential to help many people. Learn about poverty through experience. You get money towards student loans/school.

Cons

These are more consideration than cons. The pay is low, but that's not why a person takes this position. You are not allowed to run for office. You need to be a self-starter for this job and really look for opportunities on your own.

Advice to Management

Paying people at poverty level is great for teaching them about poverty in theory. What really happens is that your team members face extra stress that lowers performance. Living in poverty creates a similar amount of stress on the body as pulling an all-nighter. I've lived in poverty all my life, so I'm used to going without things and juggling a tight budget and those are things everyone should learn. Paying people at poverty level does not begin to address the cause behind poverty, because it's not just a money issue.