AmeriCorps - An amazing experience | Glassdoor

"An amazing experience"

Current Contractor - AmeriCorps Member in Vicksburg, MS
Current Contractor - AmeriCorps Member in Vicksburg, MS

I have been working at AmeriCorps as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

You get to see areas you normally would not get to go too. You get to see different landmarks and get to know local people. I had never been in the south before Americorps and now I want to move down there, everyone was so hospitable.

Cons

While most members of Americorps are outstanding, there are those select few who you would not expect to see in an organization meant to help others. In my year there were individuals who would steal anything they could get too, they would also take the TV cards out of any public TV so they would have free rain to watch what they wanted when they wanted. Stole food out of every teams fridge, and just left trash and debree wherever they went. Just vile people who cared only about themselves, and I have no idea why they joined Americorps with attitudes like that. Also when caught with stolen items the individuals were given 3 warning before termination. Americorps was way too lenient on them. Keep in mind though these were only 10 or 12 out of 200+ so did not ruin the amazing experience.

Other Employee Reviews for AmeriCorps

1. "Great people, good intentions, mixed results."

Former Contractor - Program Coordinator, Non-Profit in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Program Coordinator, Non-Profit in Seattle, WA

I worked at AmeriCorps as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have met some amazing people through Americorps: career mentors, lifelong friends, drinking buddies, etc. Most people affiliated with Americorps have high ideals and a passion to do good in the world. Many Americorps positions allow you to make what you want out of your role. You can have the freedom to try new things and fail without getting fired. It is a learning opportunity for people right out of school or for workers looking at a career change.

Cons

Though intentions are good, there is often disorganization in Americorps programs and sponsoring agencies. There is bureaucracy and red tape galore and it is hard to get things from CNCS without an advocate. I also question the efficacy of having one year terms of service. Often times the programs Americorps members are supporting require more of a commitment and already have issues with high turnover with staff. There can be questions of how Americorps members differ from paid staff at non-profits and I have witnessed some partnering organizations use Americorps members as cheap staff.

2. "not willing to be flexiable"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great organization that did great work for the community that the organiztion was in.
    Like being able to volunteer.

Cons

Americorp management was not willing to really listen to concerns and would not be flexiable just kept shoving policy in my face. Would not take into account my life situation when considering education award. Did not feel like my true talents were ever utilized or even really discovered. I was unable to even begin to reach my full potential.