American Academy of Arts & Sciences - mean place | Glassdoor

"mean place"

Pros

architecture of the building, location, serenity of grounds, potential for consideration of issues of real significance with high caliber minds.

Cons

the "leader" is dreadful and establishes a climate of fear.

Advice to Management

Berlowitz has charmed a blinded, aging leadership. Try a confidential 360 degree review process and see what you will find out from those who know her best.

Other Employee Reviews for American Academy of Arts & Sciences

"Stay away for your own good"

I worked at American Academy of Arts & Sciences full-time

Pros

The mission of the Academy is a really admirable one. The staff is full of intelligent, hardworking, passionate individuals. The Academy would be an inspiring place to work if the president and senior leadership were different.

Cons

The staff at the Academy work incredibly hard, at the expense of their families and social lives, only to be verbally abused, made to cry, or both by the president/senior management. For this reason the staff turn over is incredibly high - on numerous occasions a staff member has quit in the middle of the day due to an especially vicious attack from her. Your work is micromanaged so much it is degrading to your intelligence. No matter what you do it is never good enough. There is very little room for professional growth and there is absolutely no effort made for professional development.
    Not to mention the vacation time and benefits are terrible.

Advice to Management

The Board needs to step in and do a senior management overhaul. The actions that take place on a daily basis are extremely harmful to the staff's wellbeing and the Academy's reputation.

"Former Fellow recommends -- stay away, either as an employee or a fellow"

Former Employee - Research Fellow in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Research Fellow in Cambridge, MA

I worked at American Academy of Arts & Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The American Academy has a proud and important tradition, and in best of times it serves as an gathering place for remarkable and innovative scholars, artists, and activists.

Cons

I personally witnessed -- on a nearly daily basis -- the president of the Academy belittle and degrade staff. I have personally seen people break down after interactions with senior leadership. I was insulated from insults because I have a PhD and could leave at any time, though I felt deeply sorry for what the staff went through. Just before I left, the President of the Academy built a wall so that she she would have complete privacy, and it struck me that she had walled herself off from the rest of the organization in more than physical ways. In the year that I was there, more than 40% of the staff turned over. I study organizations, and this was the most dysfunctional organization I have ever witnessed. It is just so deeply deeply sad.

Advice to Management

To the Board: please step in and do a thorough review. The current board has been hand-chosen by the President, and that's a shame. To the Staff: consider legal options.