American Airlines - Once great, not so much anymore! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

"Once great, not so much anymore!"

Current Employee - International Flight Purser in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - International Flight Purser in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Travel used to be a great benefit, now you have to fight to get on an airplane. Our health benefits are still okay and pay will let you live in the lower middle class.

Cons

After the mismanagement of our current senior management which has lead to bankruptcy, they are attempting to completely gut our remaining benefits and quality of work life.

Advice to Management

What you are doing is completely wrong, please try to find those who love the airline business and want to help us grow again and become the once proud airline we once were. The money-grubbing and business-as-usual policies will no longer work.

Other Employee Reviews for American Airlines

"Can be fun if you don't mind working for a risky company"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* Airline industry is interesting
    * So many areas of the business need improvement, it's easy to add value
    * Flight benefits - Pay is lower because of this

Cons

* Probably 80% of the employees are there for the flight benefits so management does not put in enough effort to retain its employees or keep them happy. This leads to some managers who do not have good management skills. Their mentality is "I don't care if you leave. I just want my bonus". This also leads to almost no promotions. This is for some managers, not all.
    * Employee performance evaluations don't seem to ever be used for anything - except maybe as a red flag if the employee tries to transfer to another group. Definitely do not lead to more pay or career advancement.
    * Has been a brain drain out of HDQ over the last few years. This makes projects very frustrating.
    * Pay cuts. No raises for years
    * Company seems to always be 5 minutes away from entering a big world of hurt: One more crash, SABRE goes down for more than a few minutes, fuel costs skyrocket, pilots decide to tank the company, etc. It's an environment of uncertainty.
    * A cup was placed over the copy machine for us to place a dime for every personal page copied
    * I'm worn down - ready to exit

Advice to Management

Running a big company must be very difficult. There's no way you can make everybody happy. I guess the only advice I have is to always stick to the principles that made the company sucessful throughout its history

2. "CSM-Customer Service Manager....what a joke"

Former Employee - CSM Domestic Airport Services-Ramp-P/S in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - CSM Domestic Airport Services-Ramp-P/S in Miami, FL

I worked at American Airlines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

get to fly "standby" for a small price
    good medical insurance from date of hire
    job title sounds important

Cons

glorified "baby sitter" especially in Union controlled cities
    no respect for CSM managers..they last only a few years due to burnout or transfer out and the employees that you "manage" know this so they get away with EVERYTHING...its out of control.
    even as AA is a shrinking/sinking ship...your input and suggestions go nowhere!!!
    you are there to "write up" employees that WILL get there jobs back!!!...a waste of time...
    no advancement from this "frontline" position.
    long hours especially on weather nights..NO OVERTIME PAY
    unskilled Union employees make more than the CSM Manager!!

Advice to Management

the AA upper managers, Station Managers, VP's, Regional people all take care of each other..Level 4's become Level 5's...its all a circus they move around, they take care of each other and are NEVER open to any suggestions or innovative ideas for fear or their own jobs...